Multi-Select Column Formula to Add Values

Is there a way to add values to a multi-select column using a formula? I have several sheets that i want to switch from checkbox columns to a single multi-select column "Subscribed Calendars". It is VERY manual right now doing it by hand and will take a ton of time.

I've tried using the "IF" formula, but it only adds the first true value...which is "Specialty".

=IF(CIA104 = 1, "CIA", IF([Material Planning]104 = 1, "Material Planning", IF([Global Samples]104 = 1, "Global Samples", IF(Jordan104 = 1, "Jordan", IF([Global Merch Ops]104 = 1, "Global Merch Ops", IF([Geo Merch Ops]104 = 1, "Geo Merch Ops", IF([Sports Mktg]104 = 1, "Sports Mktg", IF(Specialty104 = 1, "Specialty", IF(GOLF104 = 1, "Golf", IF(SB104 = 1, "SB", IF(TENNIS104 = 1, "Tennis", "")))))))))))

So for the yellow highlighted cell below, I need it to put in the following values "Specialty", "Golf", "SB" and "Tennis" based on the checkbox columns.

Best Answer

Answers

• mel.greenspan
    mel.greenspan ✭✭✭✭

Thank you! Super helpful and it works perfectly.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

You are more than welcome!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• mel.greenspan
    mel.greenspan ✭✭✭✭

@Andrée Starå - While this formula has been working great, I've been having challenges with it always showing as Highlighted Yellow when I turn on changes. However, none of the values are actually changing, but it still is yellow! This is messing with a Smartsheet change log report I use to capture changes from this sheet by filtering based on "modified within last 7 days".

Any ideas to get around this so this formula doesn't auto-update at sporadic times?

Example of cell history:

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@mel.greenspan

Glad to hear it's working!

Strange with the color.

If you haven’t already, I would recommend that you reach out to the Smartsheet Support Team.

Let me know what you find out.

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I know this is an older thread, but was very helpful for a similar situation on a new project of mine. One thing that may be helpful with the column formulas, inserting the values into row1 is not valid when converting to column formula; instead I found the easiest solution was to have the values in a separate sheet, and insert the cross-sheet reference for the column names/values.

=JOIN(COLLECT([ColumnValues], ColumnA@row:ColumnC@row, @cell = 1), CHAR(10))

Thank you Andree for this solution

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!