Dependencies and fixed dates

Options

Answers

• Emma Harris
    Options

Hi. I've just started using Smartsheet and have exactly the same issue. I want to be able to build my project with a fixed end date and fixed milestones (with dependencies). Is there an easy solution to this, other than the 'start at the end and work backwards' route? It would be SUCH a shame to have to switch to the much less friendly MS Project just because this feature isn't available.

• Emma Harris
    Options

To add to the problem, if I build backwards using SF dependencies, I can't seem to use the critical path function (the learning section cites: For the critical path to be useful, it's important to use the Predecessors column to define relationships (finish-to-start works best with critical path) between tasks.).

Any ideas how I can combat this as well?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Emma Harris Have you tested it with the critical path? While it does say that it works best with finish-to-start, that doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't work at all.

• Emma Harris
    Options

Hi @Paul Newcome No, it's not working. I have a project with a fixed milestone (from which I have worked backwards using S-F dependencies). The dependencies from the fixed milestone going forward are F-S, and the critical path only shows from the fixed milestone forward, it doesn't project backwards.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What if you work backwards all the way to the beginning and then insert another "Milestone" such as "Project Start" and work backwards to that. That way there is an established milestone at the beginning of the project. Maybe the critical path will start from there. I'm not sure exactly. Just trying to throw out some ideas at this point.

@Andrée Starå @Mike Wilday @Genevieve P Do any of you have experience with getting the critical path to show when working backwards from a set end date using SF dependencies?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Emma Harris

The Critical Path will show the longest distance between the start and the finish; the way it identifies the "start" and "finish" is by finding the very last date in your sheet that has a predecessor. Then it works back from this task to identify what needs to happen in order to get to that final task.

Can you share a screen capture of your project and the milestone in question? I'd be happy to see if I can identify where the break is happening, but please block out any sensitive data.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Auzie99
    Auzie99 ✭✭
    edited 02/24/22
    Options

This still doesn't seem to be going anywhere and lots of people clearly need this, it would be great to see if it's even in the Smartsheet Road map? I've been reading dozens of these issues and I am unsure that SmartSheet are actually understanding the issue that seasoned MS Project users are trying to raise. Let me see if my example helps.

Lets say I have a very simple 4 Task plan:

A - Procure Software, B - Configure Software, C - Train Users, D - Go Live

I need to buy the evaluate software options and I have a few months to shop around, evaluate vendors, conduct an RFP setup test environments and configure the solution etc.. These tasks are expected to take about 2-4 months and if it's currnelty 1st May this year, this means they should finish somewhere between Sep & Nov this year. However, the next step (Task C) we don't want to start before 1st Jan next year (for reasons unrelated to the project itself).

So, I want to set Task C - Train Users to Start On (or not before) 1st Jan next year, even though it's currently 1st May this year, yet I still need to reflect the dependencies between Tasks A & B on C. The system might be ready by November - maybe earlier, maybe a bit later - but we still don't want to start Training until January next year.

Setting a predecessor + lag will keep adjusting my start date for training and will force me to have to keep adjusting the lag all the time - this would be very annoying.

What I want is the Task C to have a Hard Start date of 1/1 next year - and only to become a problem if Tasks A or B are not completed by 31/12 this year.

What is the SmartSheet solution for this?

• Guillermo_M
    Options

I have the same request than above. For several tasks, I would like to set the dependency between the maximum of "end dates" of previous tasks and a fixed date in the calendar. With the capacity to insert a formula in dependency column, that could work but once you enable the dependency parameter, there is no way to act differently. It is not convenient that enabling dependencies is black or white, either you use it and no flexibility with possible formula, either you don't and you have to manually update everything.

Would appreciate a way to turn around things.

• JvD
    Options

I as well have this problem. It's really weird that this feature is not available.

We use Smartsheet in the construction industry. There are set scheduled dates such as approval points by the City. They do not move. I don't want to work backwards and create timelines to make sure these are fixed. I want to simply enter a fixed milestone and have future items depend on that. How is this not something that smartsheet has added?

• Mihai Nedelcu
    Options

It's really sad that the devs do not implement this little thing which can bring so much satisfaction to the Smartsheet community. I've started using the app less and less, it basically became a glorified online Excel, because I virtually cannot run any project in Smartsheet (due to its multiple shortcomings).

• AlexJonsson
    Options

I have another case;

I am handling a project which needs to file distinct regulatory documents across multiple countries, each with different due dates (both one-time and rolling).

I'd like to have multiple 'milestone' tasks within each hierarchy so that I can see which group of tasks to focus my work towards.

Can't there be a simple 'constraints' SmartSheet column that says either 'predecessors' or 'fixed date' or blank??

I can't believe I'm saying this but I miss MS Project right now...

• MLK
    MLK ✭✭
    Options

Same issue. Adding to the pile to help make sure devs get on this.

I have environmental studies that must be done at certain times of year. They cannot move. They have reports that must be done in advance of the study. I'd like to be able to show that the reports are necessary for the study to commence, but that the study has a hard start date.

Working backwards doesn't work, because there is still a hard time relationship between the reports and the study. I am only allowed to enter it as Start-Finish or put a negative lag in, both of which are fixed. The reports need to be able to be shift without shifting the study, and without needing to go in and continually update lag.

Please do resolve this basic functionality.

• Robert PR
    Options

Same Issue here. I guess we need floating predecessors. Smartsheet allows to adjust of the dependencies between finish to start, start to start, and finish to finish, with or without a predefined lag. The lag is per default 0. This means a task with a predecessor will start the instant the predecessor is finished. Or after a defined lag.

But I guess many are looking for a floating dependencies. That in the Gantt chart it is only shown the dependencies, and you have still the freedom to adjust manually the start of a task 0, 5, 50 to 500 days later

• Agree. Smartsheet is practically unusable if you cannot set fixed milestones / Cannot Start After. Has anyone gotten any information on whether this is on the roadmap? If not, I see extremely limited use of this tool.

• Carsten
    Carsten ✭✭
    Options

I am having the same problem here. Just started using smartsheet, coming from ms-project.

I try to build a simple project plan in which I have a couple of milestones that should have fixed dates and will not change. I need them links to the predecessors, ti make the projectplan look the way the customer wants.

Its an easy thing to to in ms-project by setting constraints in tasks and I do not understand why this is not possible in Smartsheet. This really should be implemented.

After reading the entries from other here, I guess I have tio stop in SmartSheet and use MS in stead...