create new smartsheet from workflow automation

Hi

Is it possible to create new smartsheet from an existing smartsheet using workflow automation.

Also I have a scenario that I can change any particular field of a parent smartsheet and wish to update only that value in the child smartsheet(the row is already existing in child smartsheet) without creating any new row.

Is this feasible?

Thanks for your answer.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Anirban,

Regarding the first question

The third-party service, Zapier, is an excellent option for this scenario. Is that an option for you?

Regarding the second question

Not sure I follow! Can you clarify?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer! 

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree

Thanks for your answer. I will review Zapier and come back to you.

Regarding 2nd part-

I have 2 sheets. Master sheet S1 and Child sheet S2.

Scenario 1: When new rows are entered in S1, the same rows need to be appended at the end in S2.

Scenario 2 : I have a row number let's say row number 105 which is present in both S1 & S2. Now lets say one of the column value gets changed for row 105 in S1. How can I update row 105 in S2.

Thanks for your help.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/31/20

Happy to help!

Scenario 1.

You can use a Workflow that copies the row to the other sheet automatically.

Scenario 2.

You'd either use a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH or maybe even the third-party service, Zapier could work as well.

Would that work?

Remember! Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree

Thanks for the help.

It should work. Thanks for reconfirmation.

@Zapier

could you please let me know if it is free to use if I have professional license for smartsheet.

Thanks again for letting me know.

• Hi Andree

I have another question.

In Part 2 above for the 2 operations you mentioned 2 different techniques.

However I have the situation where initially I have to create new row with workflow as you suggested.

But later I wanted to change a value automatically in the the same row. This one you are suggesting to use vlookup / index-Match but I have no idea how to apply them, since the row is generated by workflow how can I apply the formula there?

Thanks for your help again.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ok.

If there is a value already included in the cell, it will not work to change it automatically because the formula will not fill-down from previous cells. Zapier could probably still work to either add the formula or to change the value.

Regarding the Zapier plan. All plans work with Smartsheet, but I think that you'll at least need the Starter plan for what we discussed.