IF checkbox is checked, then populate RYG Ball

Smartsheet Community,

I need some help! I am new to Smartsheet and am having difficulties getting an RYG symbol to populate. I am trying to have the symbol populate on a view only sheet, if a checkbox on another sheet is checked. If the checkbox is not checked I just need it to remain blank. I am using the green check symbol for the RYG. This is the formula I have written, so far it has given me the word "yes" instead of the symbol. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You.

=IF({Column Referenced on other sheet} = "1", "yes", " ")

Best Answer

• Tamara
    Tamara ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Genevieve, thank you for your response.

As it turns out, I was missing the capital in "red', "green" and "yellow".

Once I typed, "Red", "Green", and "Yellow", the RYG balls worked perfectly. I felt foolish once I figured this out, but did learn a lesson on the importance of syntax. Thank again for your help.

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 04/06/20

Hi Tamara,

Would you be able to provide some more information? Screen captures of each sheet would be ideal, if you can block out any sensitive data.

The reason I'm asking is that it would be useful to know if there something unique in each row that would match it from one sheet to the other. The formula will need some way to look at the correct row when you're referencing it to see if that specific row has a check or not.

In regards to returning a symbol or colour, you will need to actually write out the symbol name... for example, the Red ball would be "Red", or the green is "Green", etc. A list of symbols and their written counterparts can be found in our Help Center, here: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2480316-available-symbols-in-symbols-column

Thanks!

Genevieve

• Tamara
    Tamara ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Genevieve, thank you for your response.

As it turns out, I was missing the capital in "red', "green" and "yellow".

Once I typed, "Red", "Green", and "Yellow", the RYG balls worked perfectly. I felt foolish once I figured this out, but did learn a lesson on the importance of syntax. Thank again for your help.

• Hi Tamara,

Glad you sorted it out!!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!