Formula to count the number of checked boxes in a column per person

Afternoon,

I am trying to create a formula to count the number of checked boxes in one column per a person listed in a separate column. (So I would run the same formula for each person, with just switching out the person's name.) I continue to get either an "incorrect argument error" or an "unparseable" error for any change that I make. Would someone know of the correct formula to use?

Thank you!

Best Answer

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi Rebecca,

It sounds like you would just need a COUNTIFS formula (with an S at the end because you're looking for multiple criteria). You would want to have this in a third column for your calculations.

Try something like this:

=COUNTIFS([Name Column]:[Name Column], "Their Name", [Checkbox Column]:[Checkbox Column], 1)

You'd have to swap out the column names for your own. If this doesn't work, it would be helpful to see a copy/paste of the current formula you're using, along with screen captures of your sheet (but please block out any sensitive data).

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi Genevieve!

I had tried with a countifs formula, not sure what I am doing wrong. With my data columns and per your suggestion, I am using (still getting an imparseable error):

=COUNTIFS([L2 Sup Call KPI's Raw Data Range 2]:[L2 Sup Call KPI Raw Data Range 2], "Name", [L2 Sup Call KPI Raw Data Range 5]:[L2 Sup Call KPI's Raw Data Range 5], 1)

Thanks for your help!

• Genevieve P.

Glad it worked for you!

• Thanks so much for your help!

• Genevieve,

Do you think you can help with a percentage calculation as well? Trying to get the percentage of "Same Day Completed QA's" vs. the "Total Number of Sup Calls Completed."

• Genevieve P.

Hi Rebecca,

No problem!

Make sure that the column is set to a Percentage type of column (click on the column name to highlight the whole thing, then choose the % symbol from the top menu bar).

Then try this:

=[Same Day Completed QA's]@row/[Total Number of Sup Calls Completed]@row

Then you can drag-fill this down that whole percentage column. The @row after the column name [in these] means that where you put the formula, the formula will only look at the values in that row.

Here are some Help Center articles you may find useful:

• I am receiving an Unparseable error when I use that formula. Thank you for working with me, I am still learning this program!

• Genevieve P.

Could you post a screen capture, like above, but showing your formula?

OH! I just noticed that the blue row is likely not your column names, but is just text in a cell (is that correct?) You'll need to use the column names.

To automatically input the correct column name, after you have double clicked on a cell to type in it, put the = sign, then click on the cell in that column you want to reference.

This will bring in the right name [in these] along with the row number right after, like so:

[Primary Column]1

Change out the number at the end (1) to be @row:

[Primary Column]@row

Does that make sense?

• That was the problem! Thank you!!!

• Genevieve P.

Wonderful! Happy to help 🙂

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!