Generate row IDs with new rows on top

Options

Hey!

I have a sheet in which rows are added from a Smartsheet form. In the form, I used the feature that new rows are added on the top of the sheet instead of the bottom. So every time there is a new entry the first row is the last entry. In this scenario, is it possible to use the "auto-number column type" to give an ID to each row that gives the last number to the first row?

This would mean that if there are 50 entries, row 1 would have assigned an ID #50 and row 50 would have assigned an ID #1. And if we add one more entry, row 1 would be #51, row 2 would be #50 and row 51 would be #1, and so on...

Thank you so much!!!!

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Carolina,

Yes, the order doesn’t affect the Automatic Numbering. It’s added for each new row no matter where it’s added.

Make sense?

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!