Upcoming changes to our automated notifications - live today 17th April 2020

Today the proposed changes to automated update requests / notification has now got the OWNER's name in the email.

This is causing us absolute chaos.

Update requests have been sent out and as they now have the owner’s name (in our case this morning Kirsten Cox) the owner is now receiving lots of emails from people asking questions about the update request.

Kirsten, as a licenced user, has created the smartsheet but it is being used and operated by another team member.

Kirsten has no involvement in the content but is now inundated with a 100 emails.

To add further panic – we currently have 32 smartsheets as a new adopter, Kirsten has created about 4 and I have created all the rest – so I’m likely to be absolutely swamped.

Is there any way we can

1. Turn it off / revert back to from Smartsheet
  2. Put someone else’s name as showing who the update requests are from (in this example James Potter a team member and free user)

Really need urgent help on this matter as just starting a major testing cycle with approximately 400 test plan over the next 10 days and if all update request emails are going to come from the owner….. well just don’t know how we will cope.

Sue Rogers

AmerisourceBergen - MWI Animal Health

Business Analyst

Tags:

Best Answers

Answers

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/17/20

@SueinSpain grateful to not have mass chaos on our end right now like you're seeing but I agree this was not a great plan. I am also a Sys Admin on our account but did not receive any notification about this upcoming change - however, someone else on my team received an email about it from "Scott Tewel". Wondering why this wasn't blasted to all users, or at least to system administrators and/or sheet owners. I was on a team previously and had set up a large handful of automations which are still being used today - and now, without prior warning (to me at least), they're all being sent out with my name attached to them. Frustrating!

• I am having this same issue. I submitted a case, #03913373, if any of you want to reference that in communications with the help desk.

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/17/20

@Paul Newcome can't disagree with that in general and I'll do that for the specific sheet I've built the most automations in and still own when I don't have to anymore. However, what about when a sheet is managed by multiple people/roles?

EDIT - let the page sit open and didn't see your edit. Totally agreed, maybe a default to sheet owner but option to update if needed?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Or in the case of one I had forgotten about until I just got it...

I have a form set up so that a client can alert us when they ship us something. Not when I ship us something but hen the client ships us something.

They shipped us something and submitted the form, and the email coming from me as the sheet owner makes it seem as if I shipped it. I definitely don't like that at all. Even after I transfer ownership to the person who will manage the sheet long term, it will look like it is coming from them when in all reality it is meant to be a notification from the client.

I know I personally will be working out a Product Enhancement Request for this...

• SueinSpain
    SueinSpain ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for everyone's comments. I think our only short term option is to use our "spare" licence, set that up with a default do not reply email address and move ownership to that licence.

I am somewhat horrified that

a) we didn't get notification prior to going live that it was going live Friday 17th

b) did this go through feasibility study to see if the majority wanted it and any workaround for those that didn't

Sue Rogers

Business Analyst

• I wholeheartedly agree on all points. I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect this may be a way Smartsheet gets companies to buy more licenses - i.e. instead of me being the single owner/license holder and creating things for others, now if those others don't want my name showing up in the 'From' line they'll have to buy a license in order to be the owner on the 'From' line. Do I have that right? Regardless of whether I'm right or wrong, it still seems like a poor solution for Smartsheet to implement this without a way to select the old 'From' method...

• This is really bad for us... Has anyone found a way to turn it off or change the email address?

• SueinSpain
    SueinSpain ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/20/20

No I raised a ticket with Smartsheet but no luck. We are using a license with an automated email address so any replies will go in a shared mailbox with an automated reply - this isn't accessed so please contact the person responsible for this business area. we will then transfer ownership of the smartsheets to this.

It is a workaround, also suggested by smartsheet, and a bit of a pain especially when you want to create new smartsheets but best we can come up with for now.

please put in an enhancement request to get changed so we have the option to

a) leave as it was

b) user owner

c) divert to a fixed email address for that smartsheet maybe

Our issue is because we have 2 smartsheet administrators who create & design all our smartsheets to build knowledge, enforce standards etc. etc. but the results are used across the company.

Sue Rogers

Business Analyst

• Ella
    Ella ✭✭✭✭

We had no clue this change was coming. Not happy with it. It's not just coming from the sheet owner, but whoever makes changes in the sheet, his/her name appears on the notification. It should not be like this.

• Kate_
    Kate_ ✭✭✭✭

We are having the same problem. I've suddenly started receiving a lot of emails as staff think its me contacting them. Is there a way of reverting back?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Kate_ There currently isn't a way to revert back unfortunately. There is a link further up in the Comments as well as on the right side of the web page under the "Additional Resources" section (and here) that will allow you to Submit a Product Enhancement Request which is essentially casting your vote for a change. Please feel free to provide as much detail in that as you can regarding what you would like to see changed and why, and don't hesitate to include a link to this thread.