% Allocation is updating incorrectly

I seem to hav

e % allocation that is now updating anytime someone make a change to the sheet.  Even if it is an old sheet and no changes are being made to the date or %.  Is this a new thing or a glitch?

Answers

• Hi Heather,

Would you be able to provide a little more information? A screen capture of your sheet with the % allocation showing would be most helpful, but please block out any sensitive data.

It would also help to see your Project Settings open for that sheet, to confirm what settings are enabled and what columns are selected.

You may want to review either the Cell History for any changing cells, or if your plan includes it, the Activity Log (see here).

Cheers,

Genevieve

• I noticed that the % Allocation went from 0 to 100% when I added a date to the field. I only added the (2) dates to the sheet, and nothing in the % Allocation field. I do not have any option to see Project Settings.  Can you advise on how to do that? 

• Should I uncheck this box for Resource Management?

• Hi Heather,

This sounds like expected behaviour; when Resource Management is enabled, the default value for % Allocation is 100%. This means that when you add data to the rows, it will auto-fill with 100% to start, and then you can adjust this as needed.

I would suggest reviewing our Help Center article on Resource Management, as there are a few different settings you may want to adjust, depending on how you are using it. (See here).

"If you’d like to specify allocation percentages less than 100%, you will want to specify an Allocation % column in the Project Settings so that your resources can work on multiple tasks per day. For each task, the resources you assign will be allocated at the percent you specify." (See the article above.)

To find your Project Settings, you can either right-click on any column header and select it from the drop-down menu or go to the little gear icon in the top-right corner of your sheet. Here are some other resources you may find helpful:

If you still need help after reviewing these articles, it really would be useful to see screen captures of your sheets (if possible).

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!