Changing Colors on Bar Charts

2»

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Oh! I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were referencing a REPORT. I was thinking you were referencing a SHEET. My apologies.

Did you try unchecking the box that uses the first column as labels? Have you also looked at the vertical bar charts? I know sometimes I can get one to work and not the other (for whatever reason).

• Susan Swisher
    Susan Swisher ✭✭✭✭✭✭

No matter what "bar" chart type I choose and if the box is checked or unchecked, the same thing happens. Notice that the Apply To only picks 1 item; versus allowing me to choose each item; like on a PIE chart.

• Susan Swisher
    Susan Swisher ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is how the PIE chart acts... for the series; which is what I want .. but in the vertical type chart.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

How would you feel about moving the data to a sheet instead of a report so that it can be restructured? I feel like the way the data is laid out is the biggest roadblock here unfortunately.

• Susan Swisher
    Susan Swisher ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Can I still use the Sheet Summary information or would I have to create another sheet (with those formulas) to capture the data? I am trying to automate as much as I can and not have to recreate the metrics (on the dashboard).

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

We could use two columns that can be hidden after setting everything up to mimic the Summary Data. Then you would reference those two columns for your chart data.

So the left column would be the list of your Summary fields, and the right column would be very similar to a cell reference, except we will reference the field directly.

Field.............Data

24360: Accrual Complete.......... =[24360: Accrual Complete]#

24360: Active/Open................... =[24360: Active/Open]#

0012: Active/Open..................... =[0012: Active/Open]#

0012: In Start-Up........................ =[0012: In Start-Up]#

etc

etc

The way to reference the summary field is very similar to referencing a cell in the sheet. You use the Field Name in place of a column name and # in place of a row number.

Then you can hide these columns to keep the sheet looking clean, and the numbers will automatically update mimicking whatever numbers are in the Summary Fields. The only thing to remember for this is that you will have to add/update/remove the column data if you add/update/remove a field name.

This will allow the data to be restructured which (fingers crossed) will allow you to build your chart exactly how you want it to be built.

• Susan Swisher
    Susan Swisher ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Paul Newcome I just read that you can't reference the Sheet Summary fields in another sheet; that people have put in an "enhancement request" .. but at the moment, it isn't an option?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The two extra columns would go on the same sheet as the Sheet Summary. You can then hide those two columns from view. This moves the Sheet Summary data into the sheet itself which allows for the restructuring of the data.

• Sandra Murray
    Sandra Murray ✭✭✭✭

Any updates here or just can't do it 2 years later?

• Sandra Murray
    Sandra Murray ✭✭✭✭

bar charts - unable to color each bar

• Anyone stumbling on this now there are some new updates - Click the "Series" section in the editor widget and there you can select the individual bars/etc and change the color.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Travis V Yes. That particular feature has been around for a while, but it also depends on the data structure and how it is being read by the chart widget. Depending on the structure, all bars could be considered the same "series" in which case changing one means changing all similar to the screenshot in @Susan Swisher's comment from 30 April 2020 (with the only updates being made to UI and not necessarily the functionality).

• CWibben
    CWibben ✭✭✭
    edited 03/01/24

UPDATE: Was the bar chart color issue ever resolved? I have a similar issue using two columns: "Target" and "Actual". I want to use a standard bar chart, but change the colors. The default is very bright primary blue for "Target" & bright red for the "Actuals". If I switch the rows & columns, it changes both to the same color w/ no option to adjust only one row color. In "Series" section, when I change the color, it only applies to all rows & doesn't provide an option to change only one or the other like other types do. It's like some code is missing here because it is possible in the column chart. SOLUTION found: I created a column Chart & then changed the colors & then changed the chart to a bar chart.