Copy paste formula only on many sheet

Hi, I have a lot of project who has exactly the same column with exactly same formula in each. Unfortunately, if I want to change the formula for a column, I have to do it sheet by sheet. Is there another way to do it?

Answers

• Werner Gerstacker
    Werner Gerstacker ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm really not sure what you're looking for here.

But if you're asking if there is an easy way to copy a formula from one cell to another within the same column, I would recommend changing the formula in the top-most cell of the child section, mark it and pull the formula down to the next parent row by clicking and holding the little blue dot in the bottom right corner that turns the cursor in a cross when you hover over it.

The copy an paste the formula into the next child cell (CTRL-C, CTRL-V) further down and do the sam thing again and again and again

• Julie Barbeau
    Julie Barbeau ✭✭✭✭

hi Werner,

I use the same formulas in all my sheets for certain columns. when I realize that a formula must be modified because it ultimately does not meet the need, I must go through each sheet one by one to modify the formula. I’m looking for a way to have a sheet with the reference formula, and by changing this reference formula, the same formula will automatically update in all sheets.

• Werner Gerstacker
    Werner Gerstacker ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, no idea how to achieve that.

I have read about a setup that Smartsheet calls Control Center - as I understand it, this is an add-on service (with an extra fee), but from the documentation/videos it seems like you can set up what is called a blueprint and it might be possible to do all the changes from there in the sheets are all built on the blueprint.

Not having any more access/info about it I might be vastly overestimating the capabilities here.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Julie Barbeau

Werner is correct and that would be an excellent use case for the premium add-on, Control Center.

Is that an option?

More info: 

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Cimafranca
    Cimafranca ✭✭✭

Hi @Andrée Starå - just saw your response here and seems to address a similar question I tagged you on. So the only feasible means to copy & paste the same formula among different sheets is through Control Center?

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/22/22

@Julie Barbeau, @Cimafranca,

To add to the excellent advice from @Andrée Starå:

Control Center would be the only place you could make that kind of sweeping change.

Only problem is anything you want to manage through Control Center must be built via the Control Center. That means you would have to recreate your grid via the Control Center, and import the existing data over to the new grid.

Otherwise manual copying/pasting is the only solution.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!