Combine data from two sheets

I've created two sheets to track different elements of product development. Each sheet has data associated with a product (product name, product key). Now I want to use the Smartsheet for Google Docs merge tool to generate a product report.

My trouble is in rolling up the product data from the two sheets into one. The combined result needs to have a single row for the combined data.

I've tried the reports - but it doesn't combine into a single row.

I've tried creating a new sheet with linked cells but gave up as it was such a headache... too many rows and columns!

Next I'll try a vlookup, but expect this will not be very easy and prone to error.

Any ideas?

Comments

• So I tried vlookup and found a limitation that stopped me in my tracks: vlookup will not return data from a Dropdown Multiselect. So the question remains open.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Bfoot

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andrée, thanks for responding.

This is a portion of one sheet

And a portion of the second sheet

The PD-ID column holds the product code that links the data from these two sheets. I want to combine them into a single sheet or report with selected columns from each sheet with data on each row for matching PD-ID.

I've tried the methods I described above and the closest that approached a solution was using the VLOOKUP function in a new sheet with the PD-ID in the first column. Using the VLOOKUP in the other columns, I'm able to reference the PD-ID in the first column and retrieve matching PD-ID data from both sheets except for data in Dropdown Multiselect, of which there are several. I'm blocked if I cannot get the data from the dropdown.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Bfoot

• Solved. I was making a mistake with relative referenced cell with the vlookup.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Bfoot

Happy to help!

Glad you got it working!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• is it possible to share the formula you used. I am having the same issue.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!