Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Benefits over Microsoft Project?

Options
2»

Comments

• annette scott
    edited 01/19/17
    Options

@Craig - will do. Have put some time aside tomorrow because I'd like to get this boxed off either way.

• annette scott
    Options

@Tim, @Craig

I started to put my Project Plan on and did about 6 tasks before it just got too frustrating. And, I really DID try and like it!

Here’s the problems I had:

• Deleting comments are not intuitive and don’t follow the same theory as deleting an attachment

• It didn’t complete the year for you when you started to type the date, month i.e. 12/09 and press tab

• I couldn’t find out how to change the date format (don’t be fooled into thinking that because it looks like a spreadsheet, it behaves like a spreadsheet, it doesn’t) – there’s a heavy reliance on the right mouse button too which makes it difficult if you’re a keyboard person and there’s no shortcut. I eventually found that you had to change the date in the product settings (yeah, that’s fine) but then you had to log out and back in for them to refresh. Hmmmmm

• It automatically adds dependencies so taking autoscheduling to the extreme – you have to unlink it yourself

• It doesn’t use autocomplete when you type, for example, Patientrack for the second time

• It isn’t easy to select existing resources so you HAVE to retype them

• It doesn’t validate date formats so if your finger slips and you pop in an extra character, it will quite happily let you

• And the point at which I gave up was that it didn’t give you the opportunity to put multiple resources on the same line and let the auto schedule work out the days required

I couldn’t find how to split a task, when you have holidays or how to assign a calendar per resource which Project does for you automatically. I do, however, like the spreadsheet look of it. I wish it did what it did well, as a cut down version of Project, rather than the little it does being clumpy.

I won’t be using it, I’m sticking to Project.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you read this, annette, thanks for the update.

These aren't the reasons I was expecting, but are valid nonetheless.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.