Bubble Chart-Scatter Chart

I've been requested my by executives to create a bubble chart of all the projects in the pipeline to gain a better understanding of priority . The chart will have 4 quadrants, see the attached. I have created columns in my smartsheet project list so the dashboard once completed can pull this data from. How do I get started using my existing smartsheet to create this type of charting? I don't want to use excel since this makes it a very manual process for updating executives.

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 07/06/20

Hi Alisia,

The chart widget doesn't currently have the option of a bubble chart like this (please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment!)

Smartsheet does have the ability to integrate with a third party application called SYSTEC which can create bubble charts (see our page on this HERE, or their website, HERE).

If that's not an option, you may be able to create something on a dashboard that uses 4 separate charts, but you would likely need even more helper columns to indicate which of the 4 charts your project should be mapped on to. It may be easier to pull a Report for the projects that fall under each quadrant instead.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi Genevieve,

We are checking on pricing with Systec, however, in the interim what type of formal would I use to create a dashboard for this to accurate data?

• Unfortunately, Systec does not have this functionality at the moment. Is there a way to build this into a worksheet and pull the data into 4 quadrants in a dashboard?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi Alisia,

We wouldn't be able to replicate your screen capture in Smartsheet, as Chart Widgets require numerical data to map. You said you had added in some columns to map this, which columns were they? Would you be able to post a screen capture (blocking out any sensitive data)?

Here's my idea of producing a similar result. If you set up your sheet to have a helper column look at the Strategic Impact column and assign a numerical value, then you sorted the sheet in order of Operational Implementation Support first, with the second sort being based on this Helper Column (or created a Report & then sorted the rows in the Report) you could then use the data in a bar chart.

This is the sample sheet set up, with a helper column assigning a numerical value to the task, based on the Strategic Impact:

Here's how the Chart would then look in a dashboard:

Alternatively, you could pull multiple reports and insert Report Widgets into your dashboard with just the title of the task and the Operational level:

You could actually create 9 of these, one for each combination (H/H, H/M, H/L, etc) and stack them as a grid of 3 x 3.

Another option would be to simply create a COUNT for each of the combinations with a formula, and return that COUNT as a Metric Widget in a Dashboard, like so:

These numbers could link to a Report (via the Advanced setting) that shows the rows associated with that number, or you could have it embedded as above.

If you have numerical data like this, you could display it in half-donut charts:

There are a lot of other potential ways of displaying data, so I hope some of this has helped.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• @Alisia Gill When you said in a comment in this thread that "Unfortunately, Systec does not have this functionality at the moment," does that mean that they cannot do the quadrant bubble charting at all--that they describe on their website? Or they cannot do your specific solution? We have a customer that wants a bubble chart, and this is the only possible option I have found so far.

Steve