Contact Cells that match

Options

Morning

Pulling my hair out!

I have two fields, lets call them Manager 1 and Manager 2. Both are vlookups from a central approval names sheet. Works fine and no problems.

I have a situation, because both fields are used in an approval flow, where I want the approval to only go to Manager 2 if that person is the same as Manager 1 to make it more efficient.

I hoped it would be a simple extra field to check if the two values match but I just cant get it to work.

I have the email address saved in my personal contacts to show the name in the correct format I want but in Manager 1 field, it shows as full email address and Manager 2 as the contact name format for that email address. Is this why they will not match?

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks

Best Answer

• Purnima Gore
    Purnima Gore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi

I used a check to confirm if Manager 2 was the same as Manager 1 and used "Different" and "Same".

I then created two workflows. One for if the manager is the same, send to Manager 1 in contact cell

then created a second approval automation where if they are different send to Manager 1 and regardless of the response, send to Manager 2.

It has meant we have to wait for Manager 1 to respond but it does work. I haven't worked out yet how to send it at the same time as you can't appear to have two actions at the same time, but I will see if I can. Hopefully this will give you a head start on what you want to achieve.

ATB

Purnima

Purnima Gore

Cierr Limited

Your Time is Important, you want to Stay on Track, We can help you use the Right Tools

https://www.cierr.com

Answers

• Purnima Gore
    Purnima Gore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi

I used a check to confirm if Manager 2 was the same as Manager 1 and used "Different" and "Same".

I then created two workflows. One for if the manager is the same, send to Manager 1 in contact cell

then created a second approval automation where if they are different send to Manager 1 and regardless of the response, send to Manager 2.

It has meant we have to wait for Manager 1 to respond but it does work. I haven't worked out yet how to send it at the same time as you can't appear to have two actions at the same time, but I will see if I can. Hopefully this will give you a head start on what you want to achieve.

ATB

Purnima

Purnima Gore

Cierr Limited

Your Time is Important, you want to Stay on Track, We can help you use the Right Tools

https://www.cierr.com

• Simon Wilcock
    Simon Wilcock ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Excellent and thanks for the detailed response. I will try this out, looks like a good solution!

• Simon Wilcock
    Simon Wilcock ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hmm, this is getting frustrating!

So I have 2 emails address to compare, one is selected by the submitter from a drop-down contact list on the form. The second manager name is based on a VLOOKUP for the submitter chosen location.

One displays a full email address and the vlookup shows the 'surface value' of the contact for the VLOOKUP.

Manager 1 - joe.bloggs@company.co.uk

Manager 2 - Joe Bloggs

I want to simply check if they are the same and then mark YES in a field so I can use in automation logic but because they look different, the simple IF formula will not work.

How can I make the contacts simply show the full email address so that I am comparing the same formats?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!