today() automatically change or not

Hi,

confused for using Today() formula in my sheet..

Currently using countif and sumif formula based on today() date. please confirm that formula automatically changed when date today() change or when I can manually activate my sheet first and then formula changed.

Best Answer

Answers

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

the function today is triggered, when the sheet is opened.

Hope this helps

Stefan

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

• hi Stefan,

which sheet to be open..

using 2 sheets.. 1st for master data and 2nd for some logic's.

In 2nd sheet using counif with today() formula.. so which sheet to be open for changes master data or logic sheet.

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

the sheet, where the TODAY function lives in. So in your case the 2nd sheet.

Hope this helps

Stefan

• Yashwant Singh
    edited 07/13/20

but hows possible..

based on my logic sheet creating dashboard and not sharing logic sheet to others.. so who will be open my logic sheet on daily bases.

Please suggest how to fix this challenge. and why smartsheet not fix today() date issues...

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

you could use Zapier.com for example.

Or if you have sheets used on a daily basis you could place the TODAY function there and reference it from your logic sheet.

Hope this helps

Stefan

• Hi,

thanks for suggestion..

Will work on 2nd option.... but why not smartsheet fix this issue..

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Yashwant Singh

A list of all the ways TODAY() will be updated can be found in our Help Center (see here).

Smartsheet will update all instances of the TODAY function in a sheet to the current date when any of the following actions are taken:

• You open the sheet and save it
    • You add a new row to the sheet from a form submission
    • You make changes to the sheet from an update or approval request
    • You update the sheet by way of a report
    • A linked cell updates the sheet
    • You open the sheet being referenced in a cross-sheet formula

What you could do in this instance is have one cell-link between the 1st sheet and the 2nd sheet. In the cell in the 1st sheet, set up a simple =TODAY() formula to return today's date. That way, whenever the first sheet is opened, it will update the TODAY cell, which in turn will cell-link to the 2nd sheet and update TODAY on your second sheet and throughout your other formulas. You can more on cell linking here.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi @Genevieve P,

thanks for your information..

I will check same in my sheets and update you....Thanks again..

• Yashwant Singh
    edited 07/13/20

Hey @Genevieve P ,

currently working on 2 sheets( master data sheet, logic sheet) & dashboard.

master data sheet : contain all input data.

Logic sheet : applying formula for some data counts and Dashboard based on logic sheet.

so when I use Today() formula in master data sheet and cell link in logic sheet in various formulas. In that case we open master sheet and today() will be update automatically... right. ?

and for dashboard, count of data will be change automatically in dashboard or I will be open logic sheet to update my formulas.. plz help..

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Yashwant Singh

When you open a sheet it will update the instance of TODAY. Therefore, if you open the Master Sheet, all of its formulas will update. If those changed cells are then cell-linked into your Logic Sheet, then it will update the Logic sheet as well, yes.

Your Dashboard will then update because it's looking at these sheets. I presume you are using a Metric Widget, is that correct? If so, it will display whatever the cell in the sheet displays.

If this doesn't make sense, it would be useful to see screen captures of all three elements (Metric Sheet, Logic Sheet, and Dashboard) but please block out any sensitive data. Please also circle the cell-links, and paste the formulas you are using, along with identifying the widgets on the dashboard that are using this data.

Thanks!

Genevieve

• HI @Genevieve P

Yes using Metric Widget for all my data summary counts..

if you open the Master Sheet, all of its formulas will update: means all sheets update automatically Wherever we would have added the formula today().. 2 or more sheets ...right...

• @Genevieve P Thank you for such a detailed answer...!!! You are awesome...

• Hi @Genevieve P,

do you know if I add a row via an "copy row" automation will update the TODAY() function?

That would make my life much easier, I have a master sheet where TODAY() is located that I need to update on a Saturday as well, at the moment I have created an update request to myself and every Saturday morning I submit an update to the sheet, but I would like to fully automate the process if possible.

Thanks!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Andrea Vecchi

Unfortunately, it will not because the formula won't copy over, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment

As a possible workaround, you could add a so-called helper column in the destination sheet with the formula, and that would autofill to the copied row.

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!