New row autofill

I want to autofill new rows with formulas that would execute as data is loaded into certain fields. Specifically, someone uses a form to start a new row. In the form there is a logic option but not a real conditional with a formula.

It may not be available in the Form but what about the Sheet? There is languaging about two rows before or after that is unclear.

My goal is to eliminate as much administrative info - Site Name, location, etc. as possible to allow the Field Officer to focus on the details of a Spill. The administrative data already exists in a separate sheet.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

c

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

As long as you have two rows either above and/or below the new row that have the formulas in them and are of the same hierarchy, then the formulas will pull into the new rows.

• Doyle54
    Doyle54 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perfect! Makes things much easier. I want to make sure you get full recognition for your help. I have checked Insightful. Which one helps you the most?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly I am just here to help and learn. Whichever you feel is most appropriate is fine.

• Doyle54
    Doyle54 ✭✭✭✭✭

My friend - I have the same attitude here But Good Karma is Good Karma. C

• Doyle54
    Doyle54 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paul or anyone - I am still having a problem with Autofill. It still is not Autofilling on an important sheet. I am thinking about moving sheet info to another sheet and see if the sheet is just corrupted.

Any other ideas? (Autofill is just cells that do lookups - Index and automatic calculations using data input.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Doyle54

I hope you're well!

I'd be happy to take a quick look.

Can you maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Doyle54
    Doyle54 ✭✭✭✭✭

Andree - I can't be more excited at being on the threshold of a basic "50 year platform". Just basic but 1st platform of its type on reservation.

It has to autofill, though. I do not want to have to train someone to make sure cells are updated.

Thanks as always.

Carey

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Doyle54

Happy to help!

Yes, at a glance, it looks strange. I hope I can see why it's happening thru the Activity Log?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Doyle54
    Doyle54 ✭✭✭✭✭

Below is what support states. Maybe I need to get more specific. "or if you are using another formula that is connected to your autofill trigger." Possible Cause - This SS - Pad Inspection involves a lot of detailed analysis. As such, anything that can abbreviated and then "unpacked" the easier for the Field Officer. So, for example, they can select the pad that they are on using a concatenated name with pad name and location in one word. My concern is that once the selection is made, based on statement above, the additional autocalculations in the row breaking out the location and name and other stored information on that particular pad interferes with the autofill. Is that right? If that is the case, what a terrible shame. That means the sheet and application cannot operate without daily intervention. Is it possible to effect a auto operation of a Sheet Refresh???

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Autofill will not work if the cells that will trigger it are not populated or if you are using another formula that is connected to your autofill trigger. Here is the sample screenshot that may cause your autofill to not work

On this sheet I am using 2 Autofill triggers, red is a multiplication autofill while blue is an additional autofill. Notice that I put 2 rows that will separate both triggers. The reason for that is when using Autofill, it may affect the row below and above it. If I didn’t separate both triggers, on my row 6, the multiplication autofill trigger will stop working because the addition autofill is affecting it. This also applies when using other formulas (even though you are not using another autofill).

Here are the conditions that may trigger Formula Autofill

• Directly between two others that contain the same formula in adjacent cells
    • At the topmost of the sheet if it’s above two rows that have the same formula in adjacent cells. (This includes rows inserted from a form.)
    • At the bottommost of the sheet if it’s below two rows that have the same formula in adjacent cells. (This includes rows inserted from a form.)
    • Above or below a single row that is between blank rows and has formulas

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!