"Contains" Cross-Reference Formula

Options

I have two Sheets, one with a list of full course master names (e.g., ABS-435-BL-6W-1D-Master), and another sheet with a list of course sections (e.g., ABA 435 BL 6W).

Is there a way to use CONTAINS in a cross-reference formula to check all of the course master names in Sheet 1 to see if any contain the cell value in Sheet 2?

So, for example, if the cell value in Sheet 2 is ABA-435-BL-6W, it would look in Sheet 1 to see if there is a course master that contains that value. It would find ABS-435-BL-6W-1D-Master, since it contains the string, "ABA-435-BL-6W". I want it to report back to Sheet 2 the name of the master (ABS-435-BL-6W-1D-Master) that contains that string. If none of the masters contain the string, it says "No Master".

I thought I could use the INDEX-MATCH logic, but instead of MATCH, I could use CONTAINS. I am also looking at one column , rather than an array, as I do when I typically use INDEX-MATCH.

SHEET 1

[CELL MASTERS]

ABS-415-BL-6W-1D-Master

ABS-415-OL-6W-Master

ABS-435-BL-6W-1D-Master

ABS-435-BL-10W-1D-Master

ABS-435-OL-6W-Master

ABS-455-BL-6W-1D-Master

ABS-455-OL-6W-Master

SHEET 2

[FIND MASTER]

String to look for "ABS-435- BL-6W"

Looks in Sheet 1 for a course master that CONTAINS that string

Reports back "ABS-435-BL-6W-1D-Master".

If it finds nothing that contains the string, reports back "No Master"

Best Answers

Answers

• Art Schneiderheinze
    Options

Worked perfectly!!! Thanks

• Art Schneiderheinze
    Options

OK, found a few one-offs that were problematic.

SHEET 1

[CELL MASTERS]

SPY-525-BL-10W-1D-CH-Master

SPY-525-BL-10W-1D-TA-Master

SHEET 2

[FIND MASTER]

String to look for "SPY-525-BL-10W"

The output of the look up is:

SPY-525-BL-10W-1D-CH-Master / SPY-525-BL-10W-1D-TA-Master

This is correct. However, is there a way to modify the formula, so while also looking for "SPY-525-BL-10W" it also looks for the campus [SSBSECT_CAMP_CODE]?

So, in the row in Sheet 2, where [SSBSECT_CAMP_CODE]@row = "TA", the formula looks for "SPY-525-BL-10W" but also looks for "TA"? The output would then just be SPY-525-BL-10W-1D-TA-Master.

The part that is unknown in Sheet 2 is the "1D" part, otherwise I'd include the [SSBSECT_CAMP_CODE]@row in the search. It can be different values, depending on the term.

This probably isn't possible but something like AND(contains "SPY-525-BL-10W", contains [SSBSECT_CAMP_CODE]@row)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!