Form that automatically generates a parent and static child rows

Is it possible to create a form that generates a parent row as well as a static set of child rows for a project?

Example... all projects are related to a specific function (i.e. training) and ultimately I create the same three child rows for each entry. So instead of manually creating the three child rows or workstreams, i could automatically have them populate when a new parent row is created via submission of a form?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @K M

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment

As a possible workaround, we could potentially have the form added to another sheet and then have a parent copied through a Workflow to the main sheet, and then the children rows would be included.

What do you think?

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Andrée Starå How would that work? The form submissions would be added to a random new sheet (I understand that part). But then how could the form submission be copied from that random new sheet back to the target smartsheet with the static child rows included? Please advise.

• David Joyeuse
    David Joyeuse ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Timothy Stinson

The trick here is that each time you submit a form, it creates a line in the sheet.

On another sheet, you have all the parent and subtask already created. With the parent task being a mix of INDEX/MATCH to the sheet where the form is submitted.

Then use an automation, so that each time there's a modification on the parent row, the row is copied on the destination sheet. The automation will copy the parent row and every children row that is linked to it.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Timothy Stinson

I saw that David answered already!

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Best,

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hey Timothy,

Can you please elaborate on this process? What did you mean by "Parent task being a mix of Index/Match"?

I'm trying to create a spreadsheet of policy updates with child rows that require a series of approvals from a set number of specific contacts.

My plan is to create a "submittal" sheet that has a form that copies the parent rows and subsequent child rows to my "master Sheet". I've played around with using hidden form entries with default values to capture the specific contacts I'm wanting under each, but am unsure of how to merge the two strategies to accomplish my goal.

Any input you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

• @David Joyeuse I tried this and it looks like the automation rules for the parent row changing might be running afoul of the rule about automation where cells with cross-sheet formulas won't trigger automation that automatically changes the sheet (including Copy Row). I tried this out and I think I did it all correctly, but the automation that's looking to the parent value changing isn't triggering. Can you think of any way to work around this without using the time-based triggers or where the template sheet that has the default sub-tasks could support multiple rows coming in (so that we're not limited to using the form once, and then having to wait until the next time-based automation runs before triggering again)? Thanks!

• David Joyeuse
    David Joyeuse ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brian Pitts

Note that you can have 24 automations that are time triggered in a day in case that may help.

Another option that may be valuable to try would be to have your parent and child row directly created at the top of your grid where forms are submitted. Make sure one of your column will have a permanent name/ or checkbox that is hard checked to differentiate it from other rows.

Add date created system column on it if you don't have it, then use some MAX/COLLECT to grab the latest values for each column.

Automate the sheet when lines are added or modified to copy the row with the checked box only. Copying the parent row will automatically copy the child rows as well.

Submitting a form I believe automatically updates the sheet and should then trigger the automation.

Let me know how this works please!

• @David Joyeuse

How would you automate the sheet to copy the child actions from the top of the grid each time a new row is added via form? I am struggling to understand how to do this with automated workflows within the same sheet.

Thanks

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!