Multiple IF, AND, NOT, & ISBLANK functions

I'm trying to create different status text to appear based on multiple criteria. I'm looking for specific cells to contain text to signify that a review process has reached that level. I've created a descending order If/And function that includes multiple "NOT(ISBLANK" functions to determine which cell is blank, thus telling me where the review process has stopped. If someone could take a look at my formula to tell me what might be wrong, I'd appreciate it:

=IF((AND(NOT(ISBLANK([Email Commander]1)), NOT(ISBLANK([Supervisor Review]1)), NOT(ISBLANK([Lieutenant Conclusions]1)), NOT(ISBLANK([Commander Conclusions]1)), NOT(ISBLANK([Submit to 2nd Commander]1)), NOT(ISBLANK([2nd Commander Conclusions]1))) = “Review Complete”, IF((AND(NOT(ISBLANK([Email Commander]1)), NOT(ISBLANK([Supervisor Review]1)), NOT(ISBLANK([Lieutenant Conclusions]1)), NOT(ISBLANK([Commander Conclusions]1)), ISBLANK([Submit to 2nd Commander]1))) = “Review Complete”, IF((AND(NOT(ISBLANK([Email Commander]1)), NOT(ISBLANK([Supervisor Review]1)), NOT(ISBLANK([Lieutenant Conclusions]1)), NOT(ISBLANK([Commander Conclusions]1)), NOT(ISBLANK([Submit to 2nd Commander]1, ISBLANK([2nd Commander Conclusions]1)) = “2nd Commander”, IF((AND(NOT(ISBLANK([Email Commander]1)), NOT(ISBLANK([Supervisor Review]1)), NOT(ISBLANK([Lieutenant Conclusions]1)), ISBLANK([Commander Conclusions]1)) = “Commander”, IF((AND(NOT(ISBLANK([Email Commander]1)), NOT(ISBLANK([Supervisor Review]1)), ISBLANK([Lieutenant Conclusions]1)) = “Lieutenant”, IF((AND(NOT(ISBLANK([Email Commander]1)), ISBLANK([Supervisor Review]1)) = “Supervisor”,  “”)

Best Answer

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If you put it in notepad and add line breaks like i've done above you can troubleshoot much easier. the first thing I notice is you have several parenthesis issues. Also, the quotes are directional, which to me means you built this formula in word or some document software instead of a code editor or smartsheet right?

Answers

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

are your columns in sequential order left to right? you could just do a match not blank. or a basic collect instead of this giant statement if so. That said I'll try to dig into it and response with a what is wrong.

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If you put it in notepad and add line breaks like i've done above you can troubleshoot much easier. the first thing I notice is you have several parenthesis issues. Also, the quotes are directional, which to me means you built this formula in word or some document software instead of a code editor or smartsheet right?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!