Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Shortcut

Stephanie Taylor
Stephanie Taylor ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Does anyone know of a way to put a shortcut on your desktop to a specific smartsheet?

Comments

• Stephanie Taylor
    Stephanie Taylor ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I turned the sheet into a report and created a shortcut that way.  I didn't know if there was a better solution.

• Hi Stephanie,

Each sheet has a unique Secure Sheet Link that you can find by right-clicking the sheet name at the top of your Smartsheet session and selecting Properties.

On a Mac, you can triple-click to highlight the URL, then click and drag it to your desktop to create a shortcut.

I found a site that details adding shortcuts to your start menu: http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-add-web-shortcut-windows-10-start-screen

• Stephanie Taylor
    Stephanie Taylor ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ok good to know but how do you make it a shortcut/bookmark in Chrome?

• Kent Vaughn
    Kent Vaughn ✭✭✭✭

There may be other ways to tackle this, but here’s one solution: 

While not complicated, unfortunately the answer here is “it depends”.  Chrome utilizes a number of different bookmark managers and extensions, so it may be a bit different depending what you are trying to do.  But in each case I’ve looked at, you do have the option to “Edit” the bookmark and that is the key to solving this issue. 

As an example for the Bookmark Toolbar: 

1. 1. First go into SmartSheets and obtain the URL to the sheet you want to book mark.  You do this by opening the sheet in question, go to Sharing tab at bottom of sheet, and then copy the link found in the “ Secure Sheet Link “ field found near the bottom of the Sharing dialog box.  Copy that link so you can paste it a bit later.
    2. 2. Right Mouse Click in the Bookmark Toolbar.  You should see a menu item “Add a Page”.  Click “Add a Page”
    3. 3. A dialog box will open.  You can then type in a “Name” for your page
    4. 4. In the URL field you will now PASTE the Secure Link you had previously copied. 
    5. 5. Make sure Bookmarks Bar is highlighted ( if that’s where you want your bookmark to show up at )
    6. 6. Hit Save to close the Dialog box. 
    7. 7. You should then see a new bookmark somewhere in your bookmark bar.  Be sure to check the “>>” indicator at the far right of the Bookmark bar as Chrome will add the bookmark as the last one.  You can drag ’n drop this entry to a spot on your bookmark bar so it’s visible.    

I hope this helps.  This basic process can apply to any bookmark manager.  You just need to create a “template” bookmark ( it can be anything) then just rename it, and copy over the Secure URL Link from the SmartSheet you are wanting to access.  

• Stephanie Taylor
    Stephanie Taylor ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Kent, 

That is what I am lookng for.  I could not figure out how to bookmark the sheet in Chrome.  This was a big help.

Thanks.

• cbredehoeft
    cbredehoeft ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/25/17
This discussion has been closed.