Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Sorting reports - line number

Michael G.
Michael G. ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hi,

please enable the original line number as an available sorting criterium in reports.

Helpful e.g. when sorting by (1) sheet name and (2) original sorting order within the sheet.

Thank you Smile

Tags:

Comments

• Hi Michael,

We currently don't have functionality for applying a sort based on the previous row order (e.g. Sort Row 5 as if it were Row 1) but I've got your vote down for this on our enhancement request list for further consideration.

We appreciate your input!

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Michael,

The only way to do this would be to store the previous order somewhere.

That can be done, but there are some many of these, I'm wondering, how long should the previous order be saved? It can't go away when the sheet is saved -- Smartsheet is definitely save-now-save-often kind of application.

Saved until the sheet is closed?

Does my sort override your sort?

What about those people (like me) that keep the sheet open even if we aren't using it?

I'm thinking that there has to be a way to trigger "save this configuration" and then return to it.

Would that work in your use case?

(I'm writing the spec for a solution to a simiilar problem)

Craig

• Good morning from Germany,

thank you for feedback.

Maybe there is misunderstanding: For me it is just a question of using the current sort order in reports.

The lines in our sheets are in a logical order (and hierarchy).

If I combine the sheets in one report I would like to show the filtered lines "block-wise", i.e. sheet1 - block of lines in original order - sheet2 - block of lines ...

The only thing I need is the "line number" option when selecting a sort field in reports.

Kind regards

Michael

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, I completely missed "Report"

The fault is mine.

To add RowID's, I create a new column [RowID] and then set row 1 equal to 1

and the row 2 to

=[RowID]1 + 1

and then copy that to the rest of the column.

Admin burden if rows are moved around or deleted.

And if you add rows to the top (from Zapier or a WebForm for example), then the numbering is a little more complicated (I don't to this often)

Every sheet then has its own RowID and can be added to your report.

Craig

• Hi Craig,

this is not a realisitic option.

Too many sheets ...

Sheets can be sorted by a start date column.

Thanks god, the hierarchy of lines is still okay after sorting.

But nevertheless the formula has to be rebuilt after each sort.

No option for standard users.

Please but the request on the wish list.

This feature should not be too costly.

Kind regards

Michael

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Michael,

I am not a Smartsheet employee and have no control over their backlog.

Regardless of the development costs, the major impact will be the time required to capture, save, restore those values. I already have sheets that have to do too much recalculation during a save after moving a row that they won't save. This is just another burden on the save process.

I'm not saying they won't do it, I'm just aware of development reasons why they might not.

Because of that, Im always looking for work-arounds for things that they haven't or won't implement (in my opinion)

Craig

• Hi Michael,

To reiterate—I am a Smartsheet employee and I have added your vote for this on our enhancement request list for further review by our Product team.

Thanks again for your input!

This discussion has been closed.