Automation - Would like to use update request and use form template

Lisa Norton
Lisa Norton ✭✭
edited 09/17/20 in Smartsheet Basics

I am wanting to use automation to send all new-hires a request to complete a form that I created within the new employee sheet. If I send a link to the form, it has them fill it out, however, this creates a new line. I want to be able to update the line the update request is associated with so that I can see who didn't respond and set automated reminders.

I could include the columns, however, the form has the instruction / narrative for the questions.

Any trick to doing this? Thanks, Lisa

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Lisa Norton

You could either use the Update Request feature with the instructions included or use the form in a so-called helper sheet and then connect it to the main sheet.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I have the exact same request, with a different dataset.

Partially pre-populated forms, sent out to assigned to (contacts field).

I need the Form as it has descriptions, dividers, radio buttons instead of a 1 to 10 dropdown.

Also need it to be pre-populated as the role, and few details are non-editable but to be viewed by the person updating the form.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Richard Rajan

You could use an Automated Alert Workflow and include a link to the form pre-filled by using the URL-Query feature.

More info:

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andree and others. I am sure there is a method to use programming and scripting and C## to accomplish this simple and obvious enhancement to smartsheet. But for the majority of us, all we want to do is to send an update request for a specific row in a sheet. And have that request include a predefined form that has the data from the row already inserted. So if the row has a Date, Topic Name, status, etc... with values, those values would be prefilled out in the form. If there are cells with no values, then those blanks would be also in the prefilled out form. It should be simply simple. And is very much needed.