Multiselect to single line item

Good Afternoon,

I am looking to separate a client into their individual renewals from a master sheet that has the client renewal dates in a multi-select drop down:

Live Clients List:

Client Name Renewal Month Project Manager

Client 1 January, July, August PM1

Client 2 February PM2

Client 3 March, September PM3

What I would like to get back:

Client Name Renewal Month Project Manager

Client 1 January PM1

Client 1 July PM1

Client 1 August PM1

Client 2 February PM2

Client 3 March PM3

Client 3 September PM3

Please let me know what you think, Thank you!

Answers

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭

In your first list above, are you selecting Client Name, Renewal Month, and Project Manager all into one cell from your dropdown? How did the value separated by commas?

Ramzi Khuri - Principal Consultant @ Cedar Tree Consulting (www.cedartreeconsulting.com)

Feel free to email me: ramzi@cedartreeconsulting.com

💡 If this post helped you out, please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful.

• Hi,

I have added some additional information below. Please let me know if I need to elaborate.

Live Clients List:

Client Name - text column

Renewal month - multiselect column

Project Manager - contact list column

What I would like to get back:

Client Name - text column

Renewal month - text column

Project Manager - contact list column

• Hi @Sandi Cervantes,

You could use a cross-sheet VLOOKUP formula to automatically populate the "Project Manager" based off of the "Client Name" values (or vice versa) but I haven't been able to come up with a good solution for separating the values out from a multi-select dropdown list. You could use a single-select dropdown list with the month names or enter in the months in a Text/Number column, but this would be a manual process.

I highly recommend Submitting a Product Enhancement Request to see about getting an automated option for this kind of "breakout" functionality considered as a possibility for future development.

Thanks,

Ben

• Thank you Ben! I have submitted an an enhancement.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!