Changing Reference File

Hello,

I have created these files:

1. A raw data sheet - I will copy data extracted from various systems and paste them into this raw data sheet
  2. A sheet for metrics - a summary sheet for summarizing statistics from the raw data sheet
  3. Multiple reports for different purposes that draw data from the raw data sheet
  4. Multiple dashboards - to present charts/reports from either the metrics sheet or reports

I have to clear data off the raw data sheet every time I have new data to put in, can I save a copy of the current raw data sheet and then name the new raw data file as the original name, so that everything (formula, metrics, reports, dashboards) still work?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @firestorm

Yes, you can use the save as a new feature on a folder or workspace, and then everything will still be connected.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• firestorm
    firestorm ✭✭✭

Thanks Andree but I don't understand what you mean by saving as new will work.

Let's say my current raw data file is "ABC", and other sheets are linked to this raw data file by formula/reports.

I can save "ABC" as "DEF", that creates a backup of "ABC" and I had to clear off all the data in there to make way for the new set of raw data.

My question is, can I do the above, then import another sheet "XYZ" as the new set of raw data, then rename it to "ABC"? Will other sheets still work? Because I noticed that Smartsheet can have duplicate filenames and won't prompt for conflicts, so I can delete the old "ABC".

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@firestorm

Happy to help!

No, it won't if I understand you correctly because the name doesn't affect anything regarding formulas/reports and more.

I'd recommend creating an Import Sheet where you copy the information to, and then that sheet is always connected to the main sheet.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!