Data Mesh Constant Updates of Cells Causing Thousands of Notifications (duplicates in source sheet)

Options
SammyMorey
SammyMorey ✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Morning All,

We are using the "Data Mesh" add on to mesh some of our data although we are having some issues. It seems that on one of our mesh's which we have selected to run immediately, it seems to be updating the cells constantly. This wouldn't be an issue except we have automations running off the target sheet that notify relevant people of a certain field's date changing -> this has lead to thousands of notifications being received.

I just looked at a cell today and already the cell has updated from blank to a date 18 times (see attached screen shot)

Some points to note:

1) Source sheet has duplicates - only the first instance has the information we want to mesh.

2) Data Mesh is setup to "Run Immediately" (as we want this to update every time it is updated in the source sheet)

3) Data Mesh is set to "Pick First Match" (I thought this could have something to do with the duplicates in the source sheet as the data is changing from a date to blank over and over - in the source sheet only the first instance has a date the remainder do not have a date - but I was under the impression selecting "Pick First Match" would avoid this?)

We have currently turned off the notifications as everyone was receiving thousands of notifications - but we would really like to understand why the data mesh is constantly changing the data in the Target sheet.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Best Answer

• SammyMorey
    SammyMorey ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

In case anyone was looking for an answer when searching this one - it was very simply that we had data mesh's from several sheets. And there was a duplication of the "lookup value" in 2 separate sheets. This means that the cell was constantly being overridden by each sheet back and forward.

We were able to fix the duplication and no longer have the issue.

Answers

• Sean Morgan
    Options

Hello @SammyMorey ,

Although I feel this may be related to something in the configuration or Source Sheet, I feel this issue would best be handled by out support team so they can review the related assets and find the route cause of this.

You can reach out to them here: https://www.smartsheet.com/contact

Kind Regards

Sean

• SammyMorey
    SammyMorey ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

In case anyone was looking for an answer when searching this one - it was very simply that we had data mesh's from several sheets. And there was a duplication of the "lookup value" in 2 separate sheets. This means that the cell was constantly being overridden by each sheet back and forward.

We were able to fix the duplication and no longer have the issue.