Smartsheet for project managment

Greg McBride
Greg McBride ✭✭
edited 09/11/23 in Formulas and Functions

I have enjoyed using Smartsheet for many years now. I wish I could find an easy way to become more skilled in formulas. I love how Smartsheet brought my customers, reps, factory and distribution, and even in field techs, into one live environment. It saved so much time, and really makes me happy to see this company grow as it has. I would like to see multipage options on each sheet we make instead of links, and maybe some more smaller detailed options like merge, (unless that's avail. and I didn't know it.) :)

Thanks for having me in this group, I'm always down to learn new ways of servicing my customers. This was another great idea by Smartsheet, way to go guys and gals. Look forward to many discussions here.

Greg McBride

Seattle Division Project Manager - Solis USA

Best Answer

• Stephanie Viers
    Stephanie Viers Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi Greg,

Thanks so much for joining our group! Love all of the feedback as well - keep it coming!

Here are my tips for becoming more skilled in formulas (I was terrible at them up until about 3 years ago):

1. Utilize the help box that pops up when you're creating a formula in Smartsheet. It highlights the piece of the formula you're on in yellow, and tells you exactly what you need to write next.
    2. Download this Formula Examples template: https://www.smartsheet.com/marketplace/templates/smartsheet-formula-examples. I still rely on this when crafting a new formula and I'm not sure where to start. It's a list of all formulas with explanations of what they do and live examples you can test.
    3. Use this Community. Sometimes it's better to ask for help or run a search to see if someone has already done what you're trying to do than to spend hours trying to re-create the wheel. Some of the best formula writers use this Community.

Thank you for your feedback on multi-page and merge as well! I will pass this feedback along to our Product team.

Btw, any chance your company uses Procore? We have an unanswered discussion going on in this Group about Procore & Smartsheet right now. Would love to get some conversation going in that thread.

Cheers,

Stephanie

Stephanie Viers, Lead Customer Success Manager - Construction

Answers

• Stephanie Viers
    Stephanie Viers Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi Greg,

Thanks so much for joining our group! Love all of the feedback as well - keep it coming!

Here are my tips for becoming more skilled in formulas (I was terrible at them up until about 3 years ago):

1. Utilize the help box that pops up when you're creating a formula in Smartsheet. It highlights the piece of the formula you're on in yellow, and tells you exactly what you need to write next.
    2. Download this Formula Examples template: https://www.smartsheet.com/marketplace/templates/smartsheet-formula-examples. I still rely on this when crafting a new formula and I'm not sure where to start. It's a list of all formulas with explanations of what they do and live examples you can test.
    3. Use this Community. Sometimes it's better to ask for help or run a search to see if someone has already done what you're trying to do than to spend hours trying to re-create the wheel. Some of the best formula writers use this Community.

Thank you for your feedback on multi-page and merge as well! I will pass this feedback along to our Product team.

Btw, any chance your company uses Procore? We have an unanswered discussion going on in this Group about Procore & Smartsheet right now. Would love to get some conversation going in that thread.

Cheers,

Stephanie

Stephanie Viers, Lead Customer Success Manager - Construction

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!