Joining information from columns with a formula while eliminating specific information

Hello,

I'm trying to transfer the information I have collected from a form to a single cell. I need to have some of the information edited once transferred. This was the formula I wrote =JOIN(LEFT([Dept Number]@row,4:[Fixture Number]@row)) but it came back unparseable. I have attached an image showing my sheet setup. Any information you can provide is helpful.

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aaron Olsen

Is this what you're looking for?

=LEFT([Dept Number]@row, 4) + [Fixture Number]@row

Cheers,

Ramzi

Ramzi Khuri - Principal Consultant @ Cedar Tree Consulting (www.cedartreeconsulting.com)

Feel free to email me: ramzi@cedartreeconsulting.com

💡 If this post helped you out, please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful.

• Aaron Olsen
    Aaron Olsen ✭✭
    edited 10/23/20

@Ramzi K

This is very close but my goal is that the complete # below would read 0202-T690 once the three columns are combined. I attempted this but no go =LEFT([Category Number]@row,2)+ [Dept Number]@row + [Fixture Number]@rowcategory

Thanks again!

• @Ramzi K

This worked but now I have another issue I am hoping you can help with. Is there a way to write this formula so that the order if the number in complete # is the same as the columns? The current formula is this: =LEFT([Category Number]@row, 2) + ([Dept Number]@row) + [Fixture Number]@row. I tried to reorient the formula but it came back unparseable. I would also like to add a delimiter between category # and Fixture #. I tried many versions of the [ " - " ] but nothing worked. Thanks again for all your help.

• @Ramzi K

Thanks for your help I figured this one out!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!