Should I be able to share a dynamic view with a free-user license

Curt Becker
Curt Becker ✭✭
edited 09/13/23 in Add Ons and Integrations

I have a dynamic view tied to a sheet where the General permissions are such that access is restricted based on a field I called Primary Customer Email.

My understanding of Dynamic View was that I could then enter the email of a non-licensed viewer (a customer in this case) and they would have access to their row(s) of data (as defined by the email address).

Am I doing something wrong or mis-understanding how dynamic view is intended to be used.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Purnima Gore
    Purnima Gore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Curt Becker

That can work but have you asked them to login?

If they have not logged into Smartsheet then they cannot view the dynamic view.

The logging in process will enable Smartsheet to show those line items to the person that is in that column.

Hope that helps

Purnima

Purnima Gore

Cierr Limited

Your Time is Important, you want to Stay on Track, We can help you use the Right Tools

https://www.cierr.com

• Chuck Rodgers
    Chuck Rodgers ✭✭✭✭

Am having the same issue. Should user in a column identified in Dynamic View setup be able to see their rows or do I need to manually share the underlying sheet as well? Or Share the Dynamic View manually? Error returned currently without sharing the dynamic view or underlying sheet is "Dynamic View URL not found. The view may have been deleted, or you no longer have access to the view."

Am looking for a way to allow users to see project status without having to manually share something with them each individually as they come from many departments across our organization.

• Purnima Gore
    Purnima Gore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @cr1616

Dynamic View has a URL and you do not need to share the underlying sheet. This is how I share my project updates.

The only thing I do is to restrict to a domain so that it cannot be shared to anyone outside the organisation I am working with. The user will need to login but they will be able to see the sheet and will have everyone's items on it.

Kind regards

Purnima

Purnima Gore

Cierr Limited

Your Time is Important, you want to Stay on Track, We can help you use the Right Tools

https://www.cierr.com

• Curt Becker
    Curt Becker ✭✭
    edited 11/05/20

Closing the loop. I created a support case and also talked to someone on the ProDesk. You do not have to share the underlying sheet, BUT you do have to share the view. Even though you're restricting the view by using a filter, you still have to share the view. It's a two step process and sharing is done through the sharing tab.

My challenge is I want this solution to work for 500+ customers.so I would have to add 500+ email addressed to the shared users text box (which makes me nervous and does not seem sustainable given the robust nature of text boxes). One possible workaround I was told but have not tried is if you have a group admin account, you can setup a special group to those needing access to this view and then add the email addresses to this group as needed). I think the group admin interface is a little more robust than the text box so it might work.

I don't have admin access at my org, so I'm off to find another solution.

Here is were you need to share the view...