Adding Checkbox

Hello!

I'm trying to figure out a formula that will allow me to add all the checked boxes in a column.

I have created a form asking about race, ethnicity, etc. and need to know the totals of each at the top of the column. I have searched around in the forums to try to figure what to do, but seem to be having a hard time.

Please help!

Laine

Answers

• Hello @Laine Staton

It looks like you want to place the formula at the top of a checkbox type of column, is that correct? If so, we'll actually need to translate the number that you will find into a string, or into text (a checkbox type of column can either have text or checkboxes but can't house numerical data).

To do so, we can add + "" to the end of your formula and make the number into a string. The formula we'll use is a COUNTIF statement that COUNTs IF the box is = 1, or is checked.

Try this:

=COUNTIF(White:White, 1) + ""

You'll just need to swap out the column reference (White:White) to be the current column.

Keep in mind that since we converted it to text to display in your sheet, you will need to use a VALUE function to convert that number back into numerical data if you wanted to use it in other summary content (such as a SUM function or in a chart widget, etc).

As an alternative, if you have access to it, you could use the Sheet Summary section (see here) of your sheet to perform these calculations. You could then insert the COUNTIF function without the + "" into a Text/Number type of cell, which would keep it as numerical data.

Let me know if this makes sense or if you have any other questions!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!