Date Grouping for Gantt Dashboard

Options

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to automate a sheet into a Gantt Dashboard, however I am having issues finding a work around to show the child and parent dates, as all the information is stored in one row, rather than 3 rows for example.

Sample Column Names: Project Name, Task 1 Start Date, Task 1 End Date, Task 2 Start Date, Task 2 End Date, Project Start, Project End

So I need some way to group the dates under 3 rows, for example Project Name, Project Name Task 1, Project Name Task 2.

Is there a work-around this? I have not been able to find anything so far.

Best,

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @elicos

Not sure I follow.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• elicos
    elicos ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Andree,

Was hoping you would respond to this post as I've noticed you are very knowledgeable in Smartsheet capabilities and work-arounds.

I have a data table in this format with over 200 row entries that is being updated by different teams, therefore it has to stay in this format.

I am trying to get it into a Gantt dashboard, see below for the required format.

Not sure if this grouping function is possible at all.

Thanks,

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@elicos

Thanks for the nice words.

You'd need to use a so-called helper sheet with either cell-linking or cross-sheet formulas to restructure the Gantt.

Another option could be to do the same on the same sheet in another section.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• elicos
    elicos ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Andree, yes that would work but it would be manual linking right? Is there a way to do this automated? as new projects get added.

Maybe there is no solution.

Thanks,

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@elicos

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!

Yes, cell-linking would be manual, but cross-sheet formulas would need to be set up only once on each sheet.

Make sense?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!