Referencing Sheet using three attributes / one being NOT EQUAL TO

Hello - am am running a VLOOKUP to 1 sheet, and currently pulling 2 attributes, which works. (see below)

=COUNTIFS({Function}, "Category Management", {Period}, "S-Cl", {Status}"

I want to pull the Function name (above), a Period (above) and avoid pulling any Status that equals, Complete. I can't seem to locate the right formula to accomplish - Hoping a Guru can help!

My failed attempt.......

=COUNTIFS({Function}, "Category Management", {Period}, "S-Cl", {Status}, "<>Complete")

Answers

• Nic Larsen
    Nic Larsen ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The formula looks right except for the not equal part. Needs to come before what its searching for.

=COUNTIFS({Function}, "Category Management", {Period}, "S-Cl", {Status}, <>"Complete")

• Jason H
    Jason H ✭✭✭

@Nic Larsen - Thanks for the quick reply to my formula question. I adjusted my formula but unfortunately it comes back with an error - "Incorrect Argument Set".

Any other ideas?

=COUNTIFS({Function}, "Category Management", {Period}, "S-Cl", {Status}, <>"Complete")

• Nic Larsen
    Nic Larsen ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm interesting. I created the same setup using cross sheet references for the columns and it works using the formula below. The only part I am not using is a vlookup and maybe that's the issue, but not 100% sure. How is that being used? Are there 3 sheets in play?

=COUNTIFS({Function}, "Category Management", {Period}, "S-CI", {Status}, <>"Complete")

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!