How do you count the number of blank cells in a column?

Hey

I would like to use a formula that counts the blank cells in a column. It should be a simple formula, but for some reason I can't manage to get it right.

Kind regards,

Jana

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jana Brits

You can use "" to indicate blank in a formula.

Try this:

=COUNTIF([Column]:[Column], "")

Keep in mind that this will count the 10 blank cells at the bottom of the sheet (the 10 auto-added rows at the bottom) as well. If you don't want this, you could either minus 10 from the total, like so:

=COUNTIF([Column]:[Column], "") - 10

Or you could add another criteria and make it a COUNTIFS (plural), making sure there's content in another column, saying <> "" for "Not Blank":

=COUNTIFS([Primary Column]:[Primary Column]. <> "", [Column]:[Column], "") - 10

Let me know if either of these work for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jana Brits

You can use "" to indicate blank in a formula.

Try this:

=COUNTIF([Column]:[Column], "")

Keep in mind that this will count the 10 blank cells at the bottom of the sheet (the 10 auto-added rows at the bottom) as well. If you don't want this, you could either minus 10 from the total, like so:

=COUNTIF([Column]:[Column], "") - 10

Or you could add another criteria and make it a COUNTIFS (plural), making sure there's content in another column, saying <> "" for "Not Blank":

=COUNTIFS([Primary Column]:[Primary Column]. <> "", [Column]:[Column], "") - 10

Let me know if either of these work for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!