System-Generated Created Field Most Recent Entry to Dashboard

Hello! I have a form with a system-generated created field. I would like to be able to display the most recent created field on a dashboard so as new entries are completed in the form, the dashboard always displays the date and time of the most recent entry. The form populates new entires to the top of the sheet. Any ideas on how to always pull the most recent date and time?

Best Answer

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Yes, you can use summary formulas, depending on what it is you wish to show and the widget used. Metric widgets let you bring in Summary sheet data. In the example above, if you only wanted the datestamp info to show on the dashboard, I believe you would have to recreate the timestamp with helper columns, or within a lengthy formula, and join time & date back together so it appeared as a datestamp. A 'Max(Created:Created)' will always find the most recent entry.

The most reliable 'time extraction' formula I've used is = RIGHT(Created@row, (LEN(Created@row) - 9))

Hopefully you'll receive better advice from our SMART(sheet) friends.

cheers,

Kelly

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Logan

One way to accomplish this is with a helper Checkbox column on your sheet. Insert the formula in this column to look for the Max of the your Created column, which will be the most recent entry. The '1' in the formula adds a checkmark when the equation is true.

=IF(MAX(Created:Created) = Created@row, 1)

Create a report where the WHAT equals this column being checked. In the columns, add all the columns you wish to see. On the dashboard, add a report widget.

Hope this helps. Let me know if any of this doesn't do what you need.

• Hi KDM! Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if there's a way to use the Sheet Summary function? I'd like to avoid using a report on the dashboard.

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Yes, you can use summary formulas, depending on what it is you wish to show and the widget used. Metric widgets let you bring in Summary sheet data. In the example above, if you only wanted the datestamp info to show on the dashboard, I believe you would have to recreate the timestamp with helper columns, or within a lengthy formula, and join time & date back together so it appeared as a datestamp. A 'Max(Created:Created)' will always find the most recent entry.

The most reliable 'time extraction' formula I've used is = RIGHT(Created@row, (LEN(Created@row) - 9))

Hopefully you'll receive better advice from our SMART(sheet) friends.

cheers,

Kelly

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @LoganDavison

To add to KDM's excellent advice/answer.

You can add +"" at the end of the formula and then it will show date/time.

Did that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!