Automation Workflows don't copy over from Templates

Options

It seems that when you make a new sheet from a template, the workflows contained within the template, do not copy over. Does anyone know a way around this?

Answers

• Giles Magee
    Giles Magee ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Ross,

When you select to use a template to create a new sheet, you should be able to choose to copy the Automated Workflow by using the checkboxes highlighted in the below screenshot.

Is that not working for you?

• Ross Novotny
    Ross Novotny ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Giles Magee that is a great thought. And yes, I have selected to "Include recipients & permissions settings", but I am creating the templates with Zapier. For some reason this does not hold the workflows that I created in the template, so the new sheet that is created has no existing workflows. This seems to be a bug/deficiency amongst many with the Zapier integration. Unfortunately, when I have spoke to Smartsheet about the integration problems, they don't want to take responsibility for it. They say that it is maintained by Zapier. Zapier confirmed to me that is not the case. So it appears that the buggy integration is not going to get any better any time soon.

• Giles Magee
    Giles Magee ✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry, @Ross Novotny. Hope the bug gets fixed soon or someone else has a solution for you.

• Ross Novotny
    Ross Novotny ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Giles Magee I wish Smartsheet would work on the integration with Zapier, but in the long conversation with Zapier about this integration they told me there have been no significant updates on the integration in two years. So my hopes are fading for any improvements from Smartsheet on this. 😑

• Chris Brock
    Chris Brock ✭✭
    edited 01/18/23
    Options

Has there been any movement on this? This is a major flaw IMO and has led us to look at migrating to Monday or AirTable instead. It's a severe limitation and handcuffs our project managers by forcing manual intervention on project plan generation.

If there were an ability to trigger sheet creation using the native Workflow Automations, we wouldn't need to use Zapier. But there does not appear to be any way to duct tape our way into making this work.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!