Milestone achievement

How can I use formulas to show a milestone has been achieved?

I have a Milestone which has some prerequisites. Is there a formula which I can use to check if all predecessors completed %100, then set a flag for that Milestone, showing that has fulfilled as my phase gate?

Answers

• Staylo95
    Staylo95 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Mehran,

I'm not sure if this will help your situation but I can share how I handle milestones.

I always make my tasks children of their respective milestones and use the % Complete column to track overall performance. If you aren't familiar with this, there is more information here: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/765737-project-sheet-columns-start-date-end-date-duration-complete-and-predecessors#toc--complete

I also use either a Level column with the formula =COUNT(ANCESTORS()) or just a symbol column with a star in my project schedules to denote a milestone. That way I can set up a notification when any column with a start reaches 100% complete.

• Mehran Bagherian
    Mehran Bagherian ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you Staylo95,

My milestones can be in any section of the schedule, depending on the project structure and the required phase gate, therefore, I am not making my tasks children of their respective milestones, instead they are children of the summary task.

I am looking for a formula that can look at the progress of related predecessors, then make if done if all predecessors are %100.

• Staylo95
    Staylo95 ✭✭✭✭

Hmm I think I understand.

If you dependencies are enabled then you wouldn't be able to put your formula in the % complete column but you could put it in the status column.

Would it work to use and IF(AND formula?

This formula marks the Milestone complete if the two yellow highlighted cells are at 100%

=IF(AND([% Complete]2 = 1, [% Complete]7 = 1), "Complete", "In Progress")

Is that more what you are looking for?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!