Underlying sheet permissions required with a form?

Hello,

If I have my users filling out a form to add data to my sheet, they need edit access to the sheet, is that correct?

And if they have edit access to the sheet, they can just go into the sheet and add data, which they are doing, incorrectly, which is why I want them using the form.

Everything in this app is in a workspace. How do I manage permissions so that they can fill out the form and the data is entered on the sheet but they can't just go edit the sheet?

I thought about locking columns, but not sure if that will prevent data entry from the form? Also, my sheet has a "top half" where I do some calculations and a "bottom half" where the data is entered, so if I lock a column so they can't mess with my formulas, it will lock the area where I want their data entered. If that makes any sense at all!

The form is on a dashboard. The sheets and dashboard are in a workspace and I've granted people edit access to the workspace (because there are two sheets they need to add data to via two different forms).

Help?

Thanks!

Andrea

Andrea Zenner

Program Manager | Infrastructure & Operations

Apogee Enterprises

EAP | Mobilizer | Core Product Certified | Superstar

azenner@apog.com

Best Answer

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Andrea Zenner If you Publish the documents, they shouldn't need any access at all (somewhat dependent on your account's overall security profile)

I do not give share access to anyone that doesn't need access to "raw data". Form links can be sent to anyone. Sharing views via Publish provides read-only access but controls the data.

These options all come with unique URLs that can be embedded in a dashboard, which further isolates the data from the viewer.

I recommend exploring these as options.

Cheers,

Dale

Answers

• Jenna Bailey
    Jenna Bailey ✭✭✭✭✭

They do not need access to the underlying sheet from a form - they just need the form link.

I think they would only need Viewer access from the dashboard and then links to the forms on the dashboard. If you have reports on your dashboard that is a different story.

• Andrea Zenner
    Andrea Zenner ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jenna Bailey Thanks! I have two forms, a calendar app calendar and, yes, one report. They should only need view access to the report too, though, correct? If I drop them all down to viewer on the Workspace they should still be able to fill out the forms?

Andrea Zenner

Program Manager | Infrastructure & Operations

Apogee Enterprises

EAP | Mobilizer | Core Product Certified | Superstar

azenner@apog.com

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Andrea Zenner If you Publish the documents, they shouldn't need any access at all (somewhat dependent on your account's overall security profile)

I do not give share access to anyone that doesn't need access to "raw data". Form links can be sent to anyone. Sharing views via Publish provides read-only access but controls the data.

These options all come with unique URLs that can be embedded in a dashboard, which further isolates the data from the viewer.

I recommend exploring these as options.

Cheers,

Dale