Do share permissions follow when moving from Sheets to Workspace?

jmo
jmo ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi team - I'm just wondering if you have a bunch of sheets/reports/dashboards in the SHEETS directory of Smartsheet, that are shared to various people, and move those items into a WORKSPACE, do the permissions from SHEETS follow? Or will only those folks in the WORKSPACE permissions able to access those items? Will I then have to re-share all of those items moved to the WORKSPACE with the people I need to have access?

Some of the sheets have been shared to hundreds of collaborators but my WORKSPACE currently only has 3 people with admin rights. So ideally, moving the sheets/reports/dashboards to the WORKSPACE directory would have all previous shares PLUS those with admin rights in the WORKSPACE.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Jeff

Best Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/02/20 Answer ✓

Hi @jmoser

Hope you are fine, please test what i will say in one sheet before you move all your sheets.

when you move a sheet shared to bassam for example from workspace1 to workspace2 ( shared for jmoser ) then when you check the permission on this sheet you will find it shared to bassam & jmoser.

the shared permission on the sheet only transfer but the permission for workspace will not transfer.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @jmoser

Yes, the permissions follows the sheets.

Move an Existing Item into a Workspace

You can move any item that you own into a workspace. You must have appropriate sharing permissions to the workspace to perform this action.

1. Click the Menu icon (upper-left corner of the Smartsheet window) > Browse.
    2. In the left pane, navigate to the item that you want to move.
    3. Select the name of the item and drag it to the desired workspace.

Moving an item into a workspace will automatically share it with everyone who can access that workspace, as well as maintain sheet-level sharing permissions. Details on sheet-level sharing permissions can be found in our Sharing Permission Levels article.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/02/20 Answer ✓

Hi @jmoser

Hope you are fine, please test what i will say in one sheet before you move all your sheets.

when you move a sheet shared to bassam for example from workspace1 to workspace2 ( shared for jmoser ) then when you check the permission on this sheet you will find it shared to bassam & jmoser.

the shared permission on the sheet only transfer but the permission for workspace will not transfer.

PMP Certified

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @jmoser

Yes, the permissions follows the sheets.

Move an Existing Item into a Workspace

You can move any item that you own into a workspace. You must have appropriate sharing permissions to the workspace to perform this action.

1. Click the Menu icon (upper-left corner of the Smartsheet window) > Browse.
    2. In the left pane, navigate to the item that you want to move.
    3. Select the name of the item and drag it to the desired workspace.

Moving an item into a workspace will automatically share it with everyone who can access that workspace, as well as maintain sheet-level sharing permissions. Details on sheet-level sharing permissions can be found in our Sharing Permission Levels article.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @jmoser

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

PMP Certified

• jmo
    jmo ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Bassam.M Khalil - it most definitely did! Really appreciate your follow up. 😁