How can I lock a cell once it is populated?

I have assigned numbers to each of my rows and have created a column to populate the CHILDREN with the number of the PARENT so I can tie the relationship back. For instance, if I close out the CHILD, I want to be able to tell which PARENT it came from. If I move the CHILD down 10 rows, I want to still keep the PARENT number. So in the below example, if I move VC-4 down to row 250, I still want the Parent's number to be VC-2.

Best Answer

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @sbrelage ,

I don't think it's possible to automate the lock if the parent's number is calculated with a formula. You can do it manually by copying and pasting special the value in the cell instead of the formula before you move the row.

Curious to see if someone else has a better answer or a work around.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @sbrelage ,

I don't think it's possible to automate the lock if the parent's number is calculated with a formula. You can do it manually by copying and pasting special the value in the cell instead of the formula before you move the row.

Curious to see if someone else has a better answer or a work around.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I agree with @Mark C. Since you are automating via a formula the only way you would be able to lock the parent when moving it would be to manually enter it.

Have you considered copying or moving the row to a new sheet via an automation or manually? That might lock in the data though I haven't personally tested it myself to find out. We archive general data that way by copying them to new sheets but we don't track the parent data in the copy. Might be worth trying it out!