Is there a way to calculate the last business day of the month? Or the 3rd business day?

Options

I would like to run an automation on the last business day of the month, and on the third business day. is there a way to schedule the automation for that or to create a calculated date field that determines the x business day of the current month?

Thanks for your help!

Sheila

Best Answer

• Lauren Kleitz
    Lauren Kleitz ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey Sheila!

Not sure what your data is structured like, but....

If you have a reference sheet with the first day of the month and the last day of the month, you can use the workday function to get the Xth working day of the next month. Like this:

=Workday([FirstDayofMonth]@row-1, X)

with X being that target business date e.g. 3 for the third business day, 4 for the 4th, etc.

To get the last business day of the month, I would use that same reference sheet and do this:

=Workday([LastDayofMonth]@row + 1, -1)

Workday is a pretty helpful formula and can also handle company holidays. More details here: https://help.smartsheet.com/function/workday

Answers

• Lauren Kleitz
    Lauren Kleitz ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey Sheila!

Not sure what your data is structured like, but....

If you have a reference sheet with the first day of the month and the last day of the month, you can use the workday function to get the Xth working day of the next month. Like this:

=Workday([FirstDayofMonth]@row-1, X)

with X being that target business date e.g. 3 for the third business day, 4 for the 4th, etc.

To get the last business day of the month, I would use that same reference sheet and do this:

=Workday([LastDayofMonth]@row + 1, -1)

Workday is a pretty helpful formula and can also handle company holidays. More details here: https://help.smartsheet.com/function/workday

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!