IF statement with DATE

Options

I'm trying to update a function to account for 2021 but I want it to work for dates in the past going back to 2019 so I can use a column formula and also ideally for the future (2022 and beyond). The logic is this:

If Engaged is checked, then the SUBX date should be the month after the date engaged (i.e., if the date engaged is 10/2/20, the subx date should be 11/1/20). However, if the the "Date re-enrolled" exists, then the subx date should be based off of that (and not the "date enrolled." AND, anyone who engaged in 2019 (any month) the SUBX date should be 1/1/20

The formula works for some dates but not all and I'm not sure what I'm missing. I'm using this formula in the SUBX column for all dates:

=IF(Engaged@row = false, "", IF([Date Re-Enrolled]@row <> "", DATE(YEAR([Date Re-Enrolled]@row), MONTH([Date Re-Enrolled]@row) + 1, 1), IF(YEAR([Date Engaged]@row) = 2019, DATE(2020, 1, 1), IF(YEAR([Date Engaged]@row) = 2020, DATE(2021, 1, 1), IF(YEAR(DATE(YEAR([Date Engaged]@row), MONTH([Date Engaged]@row) + 1, 1)))))))

And using that, the date with green checkmark is right. But the others are wrong and I don't understand why. The Subx dates should be:

11/1/20

12/1/20 (based on date re-enrolled)

1/1/21

1/1/21 (based on date of re-enrolled)

1/1/20

HELP!

Best Answer

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

OK. I suspect the error occurs because of your month +1 formula. If the date is December it will error out. Try this:

=IF(Engaged@row = false, " ", IF(ISDATE([Date Re-enrolled]@row), IF(YEAR([Date Re-enrolled]@row) = 2019, DATE(2020, 1, 1), IF(MONTH([Date Re-enrolled]@row) = 12, DATE(YEAR([Date Re-enrolled]@row + 1), 1, 1), DATE(YEAR([Date Re-enrolled]@row), MONTH([Date Re-enrolled]@row) + 1, 1))), IF(ISDATE([Date Engaged]@row), IF(YEAR([Date Engaged]@row) = 2019, DATE(2020, 1, 1), IF(MONTH([Date Engaged]@row) = 12, DATE(YEAR([Date Engaged]@row) + 1, 1, 1), DATE(YEAR([Date Engaged]@row), MONTH([Date Engaged]@row) + 1, 1))))))

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/13/20
    Options

Hi @Jennifer Lenander ,

Try this:

=IF(Engaged@row = false, "", IF(ISDATE([Date Re-Enrolled]@row), IF(YEAR([Date Re-enrolled]@row)=2019, DATE(2020, 1, 1), DATE(YEAR([Date Re-Enrolled]@row), MONTH([Date Re-Enrolled]@row) + 1, 1), IF(ISDATE([Date Engaged]@row), IF(YEAR([Date Engaged]@row) = 2019, DATE(2020, 1, 1), IF(YEAR([Date Engaged]@row) = 2020, DATE(2021, 1, 1), IF(YEAR(DATE(YEAR([Date Engaged]@row), MONTH([Date Engaged]@row) + 1, 1), ""))))))

If engaged is false it stops. If Date Re-Enrolled is a date then it uses that. If not it uses Date Engaged, if it is a date. If neither Date Re-enrolled or Date Engaged are dates it returns a blank.

I didn't test this so I may have a parens off and I'm a typo magnet.

Hope it works.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Jennifer Lenander
    Jennifer Lenander ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I like your thinking. It didn't work but I'm going to play with what you have here. The "ISDATE" function is a good idea. Thanks. I'll keep at it!

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

1 more try:

=IF(Engaged@row = false, "", IF(ISDATE([Date Re-Enrolled]@row), IF(YEAR([Date Re-enrolled]@row)=2019, DATE(2020, 1, 1), DATE(YEAR([Date Re-Enrolled]@row), MONTH([Date Re-Enrolled]@row) + 1, 1), IF(ISDATE([Date Engaged]@row), IF(YEAR([Date Engaged]@row) = 2019, DATE(2020, 1, 1), IF(YEAR([Date Engaged]@row) = 2020, DATE(2021, 1, 1), DATE(YEAR([Date Engaged]@row), MONTH([Date Engaged]@row) + 1, 1), ""))))))

Mark

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

OK. I suspect the error occurs because of your month +1 formula. If the date is December it will error out. Try this:

=IF(Engaged@row = false, " ", IF(ISDATE([Date Re-enrolled]@row), IF(YEAR([Date Re-enrolled]@row) = 2019, DATE(2020, 1, 1), IF(MONTH([Date Re-enrolled]@row) = 12, DATE(YEAR([Date Re-enrolled]@row + 1), 1, 1), DATE(YEAR([Date Re-enrolled]@row), MONTH([Date Re-enrolled]@row) + 1, 1))), IF(ISDATE([Date Engaged]@row), IF(YEAR([Date Engaged]@row) = 2019, DATE(2020, 1, 1), IF(MONTH([Date Engaged]@row) = 12, DATE(YEAR([Date Engaged]@row) + 1, 1, 1), DATE(YEAR([Date Engaged]@row), MONTH([Date Engaged]@row) + 1, 1))))))

Mark

• Jennifer Lenander
    Jennifer Lenander ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is fantastic. Thank you so much. This works!!!!!!

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Trial and error. Glad we were able to help. Thanks for using the Community.

Mark

• Jennifer Lenander
    Jennifer Lenander ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I found one error. There was a paragraph in a wrong place. While the formula worked (no errors), the result was impacted. Just in case anyone uses this or a version of it:

=IF(Engaged@row = false, " ", IF(ISDATE([Date Re-Enrolled]@row), IF(YEAR([Date Re-Enrolled]@row) = 2019, DATE(2020, 1, 1), IF(MONTH([Date Re-Enrolled]@row) = 12, DATE(YEAR([Date Re-Enrolled]@row) + 1, 1, 1), DATE(YEAR([Date Re-Enrolled]@row), MONTH([Date Re-Enrolled]@row) + 1, 1))), IF(ISDATE([Date Engaged]@row), IF(YEAR([Date Engaged]@row) = 2019, DATE(2020, 1, 1), IF(MONTH([Date Engaged]@row) = 12, DATE(YEAR([Date Engaged]@row) + 1, 1, 1), DATE(YEAR([Date Engaged]@row), MONTH([Date Engaged]@row) + 1, 1))))))

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!