Need help with multiple dashboard application

Hello,

I'm looking for advice for creating a multi-dashboard application.

We have a need for an application that will allow us to show filtered information on many different types of fasteners used in our business. There are 9 varieties now and there will be more.

The distribution of this information is wide both within and outside our company so I would prefer a published version of something so I don't have to manage access via sharing.

I have created a dashboard for each type of fastener and have links to the various dashboards (Smartsheet content links, not URLs) on a published dashboard. This way each dashboard opens in the same browser window for the user.

The trouble with that is the links within the dashboard don't work. The user gets a "you are not authorized" message because the link wasn't specifically given to them, it was just placed on the published dashboard. These links are on all dashboards so users can navigate around easily.

So I tried creating my navigation links with the links to the published dashboards. This time all users could get to any dashboard from any dashboard. The downside, and what they don't like is, with the URL links, each dashboard opens in a new browser window.

1. Is there a way to have the URL links open in the same browser window?
  2. OR is there a way to have the SS links work without having to share the dashboards/reports?

Now that we have filtering available in reports I did try a filtered report so all the information is in one report and users can expand/collapse the filters to see what they need. The user DID like that with one exception noted below. From a support perspective this is the way to go because I don't have to create a new report and dashboard when they come up with a new fastener type so maintenance is a breeze!

What they didn't like about this was the header within a header on the dashboard. Because filtering isn't quite supported for reports on a dashboard, I had to embed the report for filtering to work so you see the header in a header. If there is a way to get rid of that I think we have a winner.

So, long question short, what is the most efficient way to share this information to a large audience with the ability to do it in only one browser window?

Thanks!

Andrea Zenner

Program Manager | Infrastructure & Operations

Apogee Enterprises

EAP | Mobilizer | Core Product Certified | Superstar

azenner@apog.com

Best Answer

• Purnima Gore
    Purnima Gore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Andrea Zenner

I think the best way is to use dynamic view and you can embed those in a dashboard.

let me know if you want to catch up online and I can show you online how I use it.

I didn't want to share my sheets either so this was the best way to provide information to a group / domain without any need for authorisation. I did ask them to sign in because it was important that only those in the group had access but it works quite well.

all the best

Purnima

Purnima Gore

Cierr Limited

Your Time is Important, you want to Stay on Track, We can help you use the Right Tools

https://www.cierr.com

Answers

• Purnima Gore
    Purnima Gore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Andrea Zenner

I think the best way is to use dynamic view and you can embed those in a dashboard.

let me know if you want to catch up online and I can show you online how I use it.

I didn't want to share my sheets either so this was the best way to provide information to a group / domain without any need for authorisation. I did ask them to sign in because it was important that only those in the group had access but it works quite well.

all the best

Purnima

Purnima Gore

Cierr Limited

Your Time is Important, you want to Stay on Track, We can help you use the Right Tools

https://www.cierr.com

• Andrea Zenner
    Andrea Zenner ✭✭✭✭✭

Dynamic View is premium content, correct? I don't believe we own that today.

That being said, your answer to my other question regarding collapsing the report on the dashboard hit the mark. We're going to use the grouped report embedded in a dashboard for now.

Thanks much,

Andrea

Andrea Zenner

Program Manager | Infrastructure & Operations

Apogee Enterprises

EAP | Mobilizer | Core Product Certified | Superstar

azenner@apog.com