=COUNTIFS(DESCENDANTS(), 1)

However, I get error #BOOLEAN EXPECTED

I have parent rows and grandparent that I would like to calculate

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/18/20

Hi @Randy Van Winkle ,

The column you place this formula in needs to be formated as text/number to prevent the error. Looks like it's probably a checkbox.

Move it to another row and use =COUNTIF(Descendants([original name]@row),1) where [original name] is the column name you want counted.

Help?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Hi Mark, Thanks for answering. Unfortunately i have almost a hundred columns so that would be a bit cumbersome. I found another workaround in using +'' after the formula. However that prevents the "number" from being used in a chart on dashboard.

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Randy Van Winkle ,

Don't know if it works for you but if you change the column from checkbox to symbol and use a symbol other than Flag or Star the formula will return a number.

Good luck,

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Geoff Baker
    Geoff Baker ✭✭✭✭

I had the same issue with the checkbox returning a Boolean Error. I changed the checkbox to a symbol and the error went away.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Geoff Baker

I hope you're well and safe!

Another option would be to add +"" at the end of the formula.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:[email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!