Linking attachments and comments to multiple sheets.

Hello,

Currently trying to learn and setup smartsheet. So far when I have a comment or attachment it only attaches to the sheet that initiated the automation request. I have several sheets due to the multiple approval and review levels needed to approve an initial project request. Each request should have the ability for the reviewer(s) or approver to review prior attachments and comments plus add more to it. I need the attachments and comments to follow through each sheet once the Project ID is created and pasted into the metadata sheet. What are my options to have this work? Is there some kind of formula where I can have this information or files linked together in the metadata? What about being able to follow the Project ID number?

Thanks for your time,

John

Best Answers

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @John Siemssen 

Hope you are fine, i think you can Use Proofing to Collaborate on Content, the following article will help you to understand this process

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @John Siemssen

To add to Bassam's excellent advice/answer.

I agree with Bassam that the Proofing process would probably be the best option, but if it isn't.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week & Happy Holidays!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thank you very much Bassam and Andrée for your reply. I will try digging into proofing a little more then. I kind of ignored that functionality a little as at first it didn't seem to fit my goal. Likely I just didn't understand enough about the proofing feature. But to give you a little idea to what I'm doing Andrée, here is a generic text only flowchart:

Initial project requested with Intake Form. The person requesting the project has access to the comments and attachments fields in the form.

Shop manager has 2 days to review the request and either approve or disapprove. Alerts are sent if the update request is not taken care in a timely manor. The manager has the ability to review and respond to comments and attachments.

If approved, an project engineer is assigned to this initial project request. This will be assigned by the engineering manager. This will also have a 2 day period to have the request assigned before a alert is sent advising their task is past due. And like above, they will have access in the update request to review comments and attachments and respond if needed.

The project engineer will have 2 weeks to complete all initial fact finding and come up with solutions. The fact finding form along with any other helpful documentation will be uploaded to the attachments. As before, alerts are given if not done on time.

Several departments will have 1 week to review the documentation and comments. The will have access to the attachments and comments also but will not be forced to review in 1 week. If they miss out, OH WELL.

Shop manager will have 1 week to finalize the project request as Approved or Disapproved. They will be alerted also if they are late.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

That's as far as I've gotten with the sheet and planning. Problem I'm having is the comments and attachments following each sheet. I would have loved to keep everything on one sheet but trying to lock a date field when something gets complete and then triggering a new date from it seems to be giving a 1,2 knockout punch without going too complex in function coding and having several hidden columns of behind the scenes data. I need the coding simple incase I'm not the one working on it. So going to separate sheets I can easily use the Auto Create (Date) and Modified (Date) along with some other functions to filter out weekends before an Past Due alert is sent.

Thanks again for your help. I'm going to look deeper into proofing and see if it can help.

• Thanks again for telling me to review the proofing feature. I watched a video from another individual that really utilizes it in an engineering environment. I've attached the link in case it helps anyone else.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@John Siemssen

Excellent!

You're more than welcome, and thanks for sharing the video.

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.