Contact name appearance is different across sheets

Options

Hi,

Please can you tell me how I can fix the way my contacts are appearing across 2 sheets. In one sheet I get 'Name Surname', in another sheet for the same person I'm getting 'name.surname@codomain.com'. This is happening for 3 out of the 10 people in that sheet so not consistent within the sheet. How can I standardise the names?

Thanks,

Lou

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Lou Peers ,

First, confirm that your columns are set to Conact List in the properties.

There are two types of contact lists in Smartsheet: the account list, which is managed by your System Administrator, and your personal contact list called My Smartsheet Contacts.

Open your personal My Smartsheet Contacts by right clicking on your profile picture on the top right and selecting My Smartsheet Contacts. Confirm that all of your contacts have the name and email address fields completed. Start with the ones giving you errors. I suspect you'll find the name field is blank. If your contact list is complete, then do the same with your system administrator and their contact list.

There is more info on managing and using contact lists at:

https://help.smartsheet.com/learning-track/get-started/contacts

Help?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Lou Peers
    Options

Hi Mark,

I am the administrator :/

I added these people to our smartsheet account and created both plans that they appear on. The column is set to contact list on both sheets, however on one their name looks fine, whilst on the other it's their email address...

I have no personal contacts in my account.

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Interesting. Let's see who has an answer. There has to be a cause.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Jennifer Greenough
    Jennifer Greenough Overachievers Alumni
    Options

@Lou Peers - Did you ever get an answer to this issue? We are realizing that many of our sheets have incorrect contact names entered. They look fine, but there are 2 spaces rather than one in the name, which causes them to not match the Enterprise account, and for the names to not match up when we do some data flows in another system. We have tried deleting the contacts from sheets and it does nothing. None of these duplicates are in the personal contact lists of the main sheet users. This is a huge hassle. I'm thinking of reaching out to support but wondering if you found a solution.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!