Multiple IF + IF(NOT

Hello and happy New Years to everyone,

I am a little stuck on a formula and would need your help.

Here is my formula: =IF([Column2]@row = "France", IF([Primary Column]@row = "Value 1", "Value A", IF([Primary Column]@row = "Value 2", "Value B", IF([Primary Column]@row = "Value 3", "Value C", IF([Primary Column]@row = "Value 4", " ", IF(NOT([Primary Column]@row = "Value 4", [Primary Column]@row, " ")))))))

What I am trying to do is:

1: If Column 2 = France, I want it to take the value in the primary Column and based on that value, return a different value (translation of the value)

2: If Column 2 is not equal to France, I want it to return the value in the Primary Column, unless the Value = "Value 4", in which case I want it to return blank

Hopefully it's an easy fix. Otherwise I'll use another sheet and vlookup but I'd rather keep it simple.

Thanks in advance,

Julien

Best Answer

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/14/21 Answer ✓

Hi @JDen

Hope you are fine, please try the following formula and convert it to a column formula.

=IF(AND([Column2]@row = "France", [Primary Column]@row = "Value 1"), "Value A", IF(AND([Column2]@row = "France", [Primary Column]@row = "Value 2"), "Value B", IF(AND([Column2]@row = "France", [Primary Column]@row = "Value 3"), "Value C", "")))

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/14/21 Answer ✓

Hi @JDen

Hope you are fine, please try the following formula and convert it to a column formula.

=IF(AND([Column2]@row = "France", [Primary Column]@row = "Value 1"), "Value A", IF(AND([Column2]@row = "France", [Primary Column]@row = "Value 2"), "Value B", IF(AND([Column2]@row = "France", [Primary Column]@row = "Value 3"), "Value C", "")))

PMP Certified

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• JDen
    JDen ✭✭✭✭

Brilliant! That worked!

I did have to complete the code for 2nd Condition but it does what I was looking for. Many thanks!!!!

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @JDen 

Hope you are fine, i prefer to use Vlookup in your case it will give you more flexibility to manage.

PMP Certified

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@JDen

You are welcom

PMP Certified

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!