Why isn't MAX returning the most recent DATE?

Options

Hi All,

I'm trying to use MAX to show the most recent date in column that's "Auto-number/System - Modified (Date)", but frustratingly it's not always correct.

Anyone have any idea as to why? And more importantly, how to fix?

Best Answer

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Andrew_Bull ,

The Modified column includes a time stamp that causes issues. Try inserting a date helper column [Mod Date] with the column formula =DATEONLY([modified]@row). This removes the date stamp.

Then run your MAX against the helper column. =MAX([Mod date]:[Mod date])

Help?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Andrew_Bull ,

The Modified column includes a time stamp that causes issues. Try inserting a date helper column [Mod Date] with the column formula =DATEONLY([modified]@row). This removes the date stamp.

Then run your MAX against the helper column. =MAX([Mod date]:[Mod date])

Help?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Andrew_Bull
    Andrew_Bull ✭✭
    edited 01/17/21
    Options

Thanks @Mark Cronk ,

It seems to have, although every date has just defaulted to today given i created a new column and applied that formula to each row. I guess I'll find out over the next couple of days when rows start updating and I have a date range to work with.

Appreciate your advice.

AB.

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Happy to help. Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Mark

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!