Parent/Child Lines to be populated from Form

Options

I would like to create a form that allows for Parent information to be completed and populated and where applicable allow for child data to be entered and applied to that parent data.

Example: Form User Enters Main Task and Description and then has ability to complete further the Sub-Task and Description if needed. It would then populate in my sheet the parent task followed with the Sub Tasks that were entered.

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Cyndi Cox

I developed a solution using two forms (or the same form by using conditional logic) that can be used to submit the main information and then the other information on a new row for each submission after the first.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Because each entry in a form is a single, parent-row I don't believe this is possible. A form can only populate parent rows.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Cyndi Cox

I developed a solution using two forms (or the same form by using conditional logic) that can be used to submit the main information and then the other information on a new row for each submission after the first.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Kristen Lim
    Options

@Andrée Starå Would the "child" rows be somehow linked to the "parent" record? I'm thinking about cases where multiple people are submitting forms at the same time. So this may create a jumble of parent and child records on the sheet.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Kristen Lim

At the moment, I don't have a solution to "link" them automatically. I have some ideas, but I haven't had the time to explore them further.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Sarah_lee123
    Options

@Andrée Starå I am interested in your solution to make a form populate a child row

From your previous response.....

"I developed a solution using two forms (or the same form by using conditional logic) that can be used to submit the main information and then the other information on a new row for each submission after the first.

I do not need them to link, just need a new child row created

Thanks

• RobynK
    RobynK ✭✭
    Options

@Andrée Starå

I am interested in using a form as a way to submit questions. My issue is most people have multiple questions they want to submit with one inquiry. I was thinking of trying parent/child rows where the parent row could be the topic and child rows would be the questions. Would this be possible with your form solution?

Thank you!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!