Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Transferring information from one sheet to another when checkbox checked

Adam Hutchinson
Adam Hutchinson ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I have a system whereby people are able to report issues by completing a form through smartsheet.  Once the issues are clarified or resolved, I want to release certain information to other parties, but not all of it.  I would like to be able to check a checkbox that says "release" and this will then trigger a transfer of certain cells in a row to another smartsheet., not the whole row.

Does this functionality exist in Smartsheet?

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Adam,

Not automatically, nor does it allow a pick 'n choose transfer.

I use Zapier (www.zapier.com) for most of my automation.

Similar to your use-case, I:

a. copy data from my "Quotes" sheets to my "Invoices" sheet when the proposal has been accepted (marked via a checkbox),

and

b. archive rows when the "archive" check box is checked.

The first copies select data, the second moves the entire row.

Hope this helps.

Craig

• Tim Meeks
    Tim Meeks ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/06/17

Adam,

Or if you have access to a developer that is able to program using the Smartsheet APIs.  We have a few automated processes a developer created using REST, SQL and c# code.  This could very likely be done using the SS APIs.

http://smartsheet-platform.github.io/api-docs/?shell#smartsheet-api-2-0

• "a. copy data from my "Quotes" sheets to my "Invoices" sheet when the proposal has been accepted (marked via a checkbox),

b. archive rows when the "archive" check box is checked.

The first copies select data, the second moves the entire row."

Hello Craig, how do you do that ? I'm trying to use Zapier to move or copy a project in my capacity system but I only neeeded "checked" project to moved. Since I only have the new line trigger for smartsheet I do not see how I can do that. 

Thanks !

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

PhilippeP,

You need to create a multi-step Zap.

1. Trigger on a change to a row

2. Filter on the check box checked (Filter by Zapier app)

3. Action on move the row. 

This means you can not use the free Zapier license.

Craig

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Tim, 

Anything Zapier (or most of the other integrations)can do with Smartsheet is likely via the API and not some special back door. When I find a bug in Zapier related to Smartsheet, Zapier support sometimes tells me to contact Smartsheet and sometimes tells me their own devs will fix it, so the lines may be blurred on who's doing the development. 

As I get more familiar with the API, I may not need Zapier at all, but I like the convenience of some of the tools they provide, especially when it is a program that I am not familiar with their API).

Craig

• Zapier will only do one pre-specified row at a time and will not create zaps for all rows in a sheet that have not yet been added yet so is not useful for a support ticket archive scenario. Now looking at API code to do. Anyone have any instructions:

Move all rows - existing and yet to be added - in a sheet - to a new sheet once a resolved check box is checked

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Kim,

Your statement is not correct.

I use Zapier to archive rows based on check box = checked. This works regardless of when the row is added. You need to use the row ID from Step 1 of the Zap, not some hard-coded value.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.