Workflow - Copy Rows

Carlos Yanes
Carlos Yanes ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 01/26/21 in Formulas and Functions

Hi all,

I'm creating a workflow that copies rows to a different sheet, however anytime the row is updated at the source, it creates a new row in the other sheet it's copying to instead of updating it. Is there a way to fix this?

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Carlos Yanes

You'll need to use a cross-sheet formula and either a VLOOKUP or an INDEX/MATCH structure to keep the row updated.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Carlos Yanes
    Carlos Yanes ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Andrée Starå

Thank you for sending over your suggestion. Not sure that would work for me, since it would start to get messy between ongoing new adds and maintaining the formulas. Based on suggestions on a different post, I decided to create a report instead which I think might solve the issue.

Appreciate your feedback on this though. :)

Have a great week!

• Melissa Boehl
    Melissa Boehl ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am having this same problem except the report solution will not work for me. I need the end result to be a sheet that can be published to a calendar. The automation is copying rows which contain the word "submittal" into another sheet where we are tracking submittal dates from multiple schedules. As most of you probably know, these dates can change quite often. Every time the date is updated in the source sheet, it copies over as a new row instead of just updating the information from the original copy creating numerous entries for the same item. This is causing multiple dates for the same item and confusion all around. Is there a way to do this without manually delete all the duplicates?

Melissa Boehl

Smartsheet Architect | TurningPoint Energy

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Melissa Boehl

I've added the same answer for you and others.

Yes. You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!