Ideas for adding a column for notes on a report that won't transfer back to the sheet

I am building a report and the leadership would like to add their own comments, however they do not want it transferred back to the sheet.

Option -add a hidden column on the sheets for them to add their notes-however if someone decides to unhide everything they will see it.

Thoughts or ideas?

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @egrime 

Hope you are fine, you can create an additional sheet contains the main column from the original sheet and get the main data for each row by using ( Vlookup Or Index with Match ) and in this new sheet you can add the leadership comments column, and in your report, you can read the data from the 2 sheets so when any one of your leadership write any column it will update the second sheet which you can define who has access to it.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Andrew Watts
    Andrew Watts ✭✭✭✭

Hey @Bassam Khalil,

Just following on from your comment above.

I am trying to set up the same thing but having some trouble.

I have an Index formula referencing the Row Number for the Primary Column (Project Name).

The problem is if the main sheet rows are sorted differently then the rows also move in the second sheet. So then the comments that have been made in the second sheet next to the primary column are then out of order.

Do you have a fix for this? Or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!